Thursday, August 3, 2017

Thrifty Tales: Refurbished Espadrilles


This week has been a lot of new.  I had my first meeting with the RCIA team to begin planning for our upcoming year and I started my classes back at the diocese.  While I thought I was taking a class on parish ministry leadership, a happy surprise it was to find out that I was actually signed up for Catholic Social Teaching.  As I have been reading the memoir of Dorothy Day, being enrolled in this class felt like a happy god-incidence (smile).  This might turn out to be one of my favorite classes, I love the professor- my first class was delightfully informative, affirmative and encouraging.  I am a green shopper ninety-nine percent of what I buy comes from second hand stores or yard sales.  It’s something that I am passionate about.  I don’t want to contribute to the fast fashion trends because I am aware of the exploitation that cheap garments cost third-world, vulnerable communities.  In addition, I also like to refurbish things giving them a second life as to keep them out of landfills.  While being environmentally cautious is something that I am truly passionate about, it’s not something that I am as vocal about as I should be because sometimes I feel like I get criticized because my causes are not viewed as important as say fighting for the rights of the unborn.  This class on social teaching as well as reading Dorothy Day’s autobiography has helped me understand that no cause is too small.  As Mother Teresa often encouraged, “focus on doing what is right in front of you.”  With all this inspiration I have decided to open another part of my life on here and that is my way of contributing towards fighting the effects of cheap fashion and being resourceful by reusing things to produce less waste.

My blog turned four last week, and I was thinking I should buy a new pair of shoes to celebrate, but instead I bring you these refurbished Tory Burch Espadrille Flats.  These shoes retail for over one-hundred-and-fifty buckaroos because Tory Burch is a brand that ensures their workers are getting proper wages and because the quality of her items mean a longer lifespan.  I found this pair a few months ago for six dollars at Goodwill and without a thought I brought them home because even from second hand retailers they can still run a pretty penny.  I was so happy when I got home, to wipe them clean and try them on only to notice that they were flawed!  Yep, the stitching from several places had come undone.  Not to worry because I am a resourceful woman, mom didn’t raise no fool (smile).  I put them aside, did some research on how espadrilles are put together and viola after a DIY activity I had a brand new pair of espadrilles perfect for these hot days.  
I am super frugal, or resourceful - you be the judge.  I had a couple candles that had twine wrapped on them so I used that twine to sew my espadrilles back together.  Below are the steps.    
Only left shoe had two large gaps.
As you can see the sewing had come undone.
Use a needle with eye big enough for twine.
Then start sewing, imitating the stitches from original pattern on shoe.
 I followed using the holes on the canvas from original stitches and 
ended securing the ends to avoid future fraying.
 Voila! Tory Burch Beacher Canvas Espadrilles ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment