Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Catholic Church: Too Many Rules

One thing that I found most unattractive about the Catholic faith were the many rules that seemed to overshadow the beauty of Catholicism.  As I shopped for a church to join, my journey took me to many different protestant churches; but, the Eucharist called me home.  When I arrived (home) I still had quite a defensive stance.  Any mention of rules and my mind would begin to formulate arguments and attacks to defend my image of a hippie Jesus.  I had issues with anything from the simple adhering to an expected dress code if I wanted to serve during mass, “At Calvary Chapel they wear shorts and flip-flops for Sunday service because Jesus is our BFF.  Isn’t simple dress a sign of humility?”  I wasn’t shy about voicing my opinions or of sharing my beliefs in how much the church needed a makeover.  Looking back I want to thank the many speakers, teachers, religious, priests and friends who allowed me to ask these naïve questions and who provided answers that challenged my immature faith.  Most importantly, who waited patiently for me to grow!  Years later, I’ve come to realize the importance of structure and to appreciate the laws that govern my faith.  In fact, all societies need boundaries.  For example, if a car driver doesn’t respect a red light, he is placing himself and others in danger; thus, traffic rules are implemented for everyone’s safety.  So, if our secular society accepts the importance of laws why does it have such a hard time accepting that God also gave us standards to live by.

A friend jokes with me that though I set on finding the most liberal church the one that asked the least of me, I ended at the one that asks the most.  I traveled the world of protestant churches all over Orange County, looking for a place to grow roots.  I began at a small Old Catholic Church in Old World in Huntington Beach.  After attending a couple years the priest told us he would be leaving to start his own parish because he had disagreements with the head reverend of that community.  Not knowing any better I followed the priest to the new church which met in a small office building.  Eventually the drive was too far so I moved to Saddleback, Calvary Chapel, Crystal Cathedral among others – until I realized that I missed the beauty of the Mass and the Sacrament of Communion.  All these churches that I attended commonly were started by a man who felt a calling to begin a new congregation for Christ.  They felt that the place they were attending was not suitable or that God was sending them on a mission to begin a new church.  For many, like my former self, this doesn’t seem like a big deal because we assume that the people are honest and holy, but who keeps them accountable?  In the Catholic Church, we trace our lineage back to the apostles, back to the day that Jesus gave the key to Saint Peter.  Our history and tradition is important and since its beginning, the church in its wisdom, has developed canon laws and a magisterium to protect the authenticity and integrity of the faith, to safeguard it against abuses and to keep us united under God.  

Many of the saints speak of obedience as a path towards sanctification.  While following rules is not very popular in our society one of the aims of Canon Law is to help us reach sanctity.  It shows us a path to follow that will help us become saints.  I have spoken about how outside the church people can feel inspired to begin their own Christian parish if one is unhappy with the current selection.  Yet, in the Catholic Church there’s an order and rules that protect communities from people who decide one day to begin their own movement.  If a priest can’t get along with another fellow priest he’s encouraged to try to work it out and to pray.  The Old Catholic Priest that I used to follow told us he was starting his own church because he couldn’t get along with the bishop of his parish.  He felt that he had been instrumental in bringing people into the community and helping it grow; but the bishop didn’t recognize his efforts.  So, in his homily he told us that he would be leaving that he had rented a venue to have services and we were encouraged to follow him.  This should have been a warning sign for me; but I followed him thinking that he was behaving in a very reasonable way.  He didn’t like his boss so he was taking the measures to address the situation.  Instead of promoting unity he was asking us to follow him to his new church and many of the people in the congregation did.  While I (like many others) didn’t see the fallacy in his actions, I now see that if a priest is unhappy with his post leaving to begin his own congregation is not an action that promotes unity. Our faith and tradition tells us that how we deal with our trials is of great importance in our process of sanctification.  When we have a challenge we must fervently pray and practice humility before we decide to go rogue.  I think of Saint Therese of Lisieux she speaks of having difficulties getting along with some of the nuns in the convent, yet she saw these opportunities to grow in charity, virtue and holiness.  We have many examples of the saints who had difficulties getting along with other brothers and they didn’t run away, but humbled themselves.  They took these challenges as opportunities to grow in holiness and please God.  The Catholic Church has rules that clearly state how priests are to deal with their superiors, I believe it clearly explains their role before taking vows.  There’s this spirit of service of brotherhood of working together towards the common good and salvation of souls.  And that’s precisely why the Catholic Church has a well-developed canon, so that instead of running away we come together united in one faith and one body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment