Monday, August 14, 2017

Do What's In Front of You

Last week I had to take my mom to the doctor for a routine procedure.  While she was getting prepped I was allowed to remain in the room with her since I am also her translator.  Ever since I was a child that has always been one of my responsibilities to go to doctor appointments with my parents as their translator.  In recent years, their insurance started providing translating services and I was relieved of that duty; but since, her cancer scare my siblings and I rotate in attending doctor appointments with them.  Last Thursday, something happened and I realized how difficult it is to go from being the child to the caretaker of one’s parents.  Shifting from having this image of my parents as the strong, invincible protectors to slowly seeing their bodies failing is really hard.  As I remained by my mother’s side and saw her fears, there was a shift in roles.  I was now the one encouraging her that all would be well.  While we waited for the doctor to come wheel her away to perform the procedure, she began to talk to me about death.  She told me that she had written a note earlier that morning as a sort of Last Will so that we would divide her assets evenly.  I couldn’t believe that she was so scared about this procedure and I felt like such a bad daughter because it was only in that room seconds from the procedure that she showed me her fear.  Mom is one strong cookie, always optimistic and positive; thus, to see and vocally hear her fears was a new and uncomfortable experience.  In that hospital room, I realized that slowly I am becoming the caretaker of my parents…  All of us who have aging parents come to this fork in the road at some point when we realize that our invincible parents are mortal beings with an earthly expiration date- that they are not exempt from the deterioration of their bodies.  As I kept her company I tried to be the caring woman she has taught me to be, I listened to her fears and tried to keep her spirits up.  I prayed for her and as they wheeled her away I gave her a big smile and thumbs up to show her that there was nothing to be afraid of.
Then I went into the waiting room to console my other worried parent.  Having been in the waiting room for almost an hour he was a little restless so I took him outside the hospital grounds to a small garden I had seen when we went in.  We sat on a bench and the simple change in scenery seemed to relax him.  I told him mom was well and she should be out in about forty-five minutes.  Then I engrossed him in conversation to distract him from worrying about mom.  We had a great conversation before I was called back inside, I told him that I would be inside with mom for over thirty minutes while she came back from the anesthesia and then we would be able to go home.  He remained in the garden in a more peaceful frame of mind.  Inside, I smiled as my mom opened her eyes and told her what she has told me countless times before, “see that wasn’t so bad.”  

Mother Teresa had this simple philosophy that all we had to do to become saints is to do what is right in front of us.  Accompanying my parents to doctor visits doesn’t seem like a grand gesture, at times it even was an annoyance; but, as my parents have gotten older and as I too have matured I realized that it is these moments when we can make the most difference.  Our families must be the place we start to cultivate the Fruits of the Spirit.  Even when things get difficult and uncomfortable or as the roles shift from recipient to caregiver God is with us - giving us what we need to slowly make the shift.     

No comments:

Post a Comment