Monday, July 17, 2017

Secular Franciscan Beginnings

Next month I am formally beginning my Secular Franciscan journey with a welcoming rite.  I am really excited about this new phase in my spiritual journey because I feel like this fraternity is exactly what I needed.  Though, I try to nurture my spirituality with classes, reading books, prayer, participating in the Sacraments… I needed a community of brothers and sisters to motivate and encourage me.  There’s something about community that is essential for a healthy spiritual life.  At the first meeting I attended I remember showing up an hour early and though I was greeted with a warm welcome I was told to come back in an hour because at the moment only people going through the process of formation were permitted. So, I went over to the chapel to pray and wait.  When the hour came up, a jolly woman came over to lead me back – I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that she didn’t forget me.  Since, little kindness have continued to show me that this is God’s will for me.  Though, I generally don’t like small groups in the fraternity people don’t remain in the surface, but really get deep in the faith.  I learn so much not just about Franciscan spirituality, but about God and my faith.
We also have a library with books aplenty on Saint Francis! Currently I am reading one of the best biographies on him that I have ever read!  Though, I have always had a special affection and devotion to Saint Francis, I feel like I am getting to know him deeper as I would a friend with the passage of time.  I love the book so much that I am reading it super slow because I am afraid of reaching the end (smile).  Even though, I still have to scratch the surface of our well stocked Franciscan library.
Some friends have asked me if I am going to become a sister and leave on a mission.  Nope.  The Secular Franciscans’ is the third order that Saint Francis founded for people like you and me who want to deepen their faith and live truthfully the Gospel – but in the real world.  I am still learning what it truly is to become part of this community, but as all things godly this is a road that leads one towards heaven into the arms of Jesus.  I hope to take you on this journey with me so we can together discover this beautiful path.  Once a month we are invited to come together for Mass and breakfast.  On Saturday, fourteen of us went to Mass at Saint Bonaventure Parish in honor of their parish patron saint.  Only until recently did I learn that Saint Bonaventure is a Franciscan!  In fact, only until recently did my brain link saints with their practiced spirituality.  This discovery has given me a deeper understanding of the Franciscan effect in the world throughout time.  How the message of Saint Francis spread and the pivotal players that helped his message get across lands, peoples, and time.  His message of living the Gospel in a very Franciscan way didn’t die with him, but continues to influence and attract people.  Today, we need his message of love, simplicity and humility as much as in the days he roamed the earth.  Just look at the Francis effect in our current papacy… 

I think love grows with the knowing of one another.  There’s a story of Saint Francis being tempted to leave the order to form a family, so in true Francis fashion he went outside into the snow and created three snowmen (a mother and two children) when he was finished he told himself there now you have a family!  He looked at his snow family and saw them poor and in much need so he told himself now go out and provide for them.  The fantasy he had for a family was replaced with reality.  So, he went out happily to work for his actual family- those friars under his current care.  While Saint Francis can sometimes be lost in fantastic fables, the true man was one who did ordinary things in an extraordinary way.  Meeting this very real, holy man and getting to know him honestly has only made my love and admiration for him grow- but more for God.  All roads lead to Rome- as do all saints lead to God.           

No comments:

Post a Comment