Friday, January 24, 2014

January Catholic of the Month

Surname: Butterfly

Parish: Saint Barbara

Student at CSUF

Before I leave on my vacation I would like to present January's Catholic of the Month the beautiful Miss Butterfly.  Friendships couldn’t be more important than in the Christian faith- my friends inspire, motivate and guide me in my walk with the Lord and Butterfly not only encourages me, but her commitment to God is so deep that she really challenges me to be a better Catholic.  Occasionally we take walks around Mile Square Park and during those four mile chats we never run out of things to share.  While speaking about confession the other day she told me that she goes to confession at least once a month if not more- I do quarterly if not less so this revelation really inspired me to go more often.  She’s become my Catholic therapist for when I am in a jam I usually go over it with her and she gives me great godly advice.  The following is a short interview that illuminates the amazing Catholic lifestyle she leads and her dedication towards assisting others all in the name of Jesus Christ.
World Youth Day 2013 Brazil 

How many years have you been practicing your Catholic faith? I have been active for about 7.5 years.

What services do you most regularly attend? Currently it’s been Mass and adoration (though not as much adoration as I would like) but I am trying to get back on it.

What does your faith mean to you? To me, my faith means hope, strength and support. 
With her family.

List current activities/involvement at your parish: Lector & Eucharistic Minister for the Spanish Mass, secretary in my Vanclar youth group.

List previous church leadership roles: RCIA coordinator for the English speaking community at St. Anne’s.

World Youth Day 2011 Madrid

One fun fact: I went to World Youth Day in Madrid in 2011 & in Brazil in 2013 & took a Missionary trip in 2009.
With her first RCIA generation students.
  
I met Butterfly at a Jovenes para Cristo retreat back in 2007 and the following year we served together at my first Retreat of Initiation in the prayer ministry and I remember being super attracted to her reverence towards the Eucharist.  For three days we were shut in a room praying continuously for twelve hours or more in front of the monstrance and I remember looking at her for guidance throughout the weekend.  She radiated with love for God and I remembering thinking I want to be like her.  I never thought that God would give her to me as my close friend, but He did (smile).  Since then we have become best friends and though I still admire her greatly I now see her in her true light as a normal girl passionately living a life true to God and to herself. I love you Butterfly!
Missionary Trip.

“A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; whoever finds one finds a treasure. Faithful friends are beyond price, no amount can balance their worth. Faithful friends are a life-saving medicine; those who fear God will find them. Those who fear the Lord enjoy stable friendship, for as they are, so will their neighbors be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment