Sunday, January 19, 2014

Fashionably Transformed

It felt like a black &white day...

 I came back into the Catholic faith quite the skeptic, full arrogance and many questions.  The members of Jovenes Para Cristo will attest to my former argumentative self - for I didn’t just ask questions I felt superior in my limited understanding of religion.  One of the things that bother me SO much about the Catholic faith was that the community dressed up on Sundays.  I would argue, “If Jesus is so humble, why do I have to dress-up to Mass?  I mean my friends go in t-shirts and jeans to Calvary Chapel and I am sure God doesn’t care what they wear.  Why must I be asked to express my faith so outwardly when faith is an inwardly transformation! We should worry more about taming our inner turmoil and the chaos in each of us not something so superficial as clothes!  If I want to be a server I am being asked to dress a certain way, then I just won’t serve until some changes occur!”  And boy, changes occurred but not in the way that I was thinking…
Modest outfit for Mass.

Let’s take a wedding for example, usually people don’t just get up on the day of the celebration and put on whatever is not dirty from their closets.  For instance, selecting a bridesmaid dress requires a very thoughtful process.  First, my friends and I will be going to David’s Bridal and trying on dresses in the color and style that the bride has in mind for us.  Once we decide on the style we will get fitted and order the dress to fit us perfectly if any alterations are needed a seamstress will take note and do the alterations in advance.  Then we will decide on the shoes whether they will be dyed to match the color of the dress or whether the bride wants a classic metallic, strappy sandal.  Then the jewelry, my best friend when she got married bought all of her bridesmaids matching earrings and necklaces.  Finally the hair, does the bride want us to have a certain hairstyle or are we free to fix our hair according to our likeness also will we need to wear a specific hair accessory.  The night before the wedding we each make sure that the dress, shoes and accessories are ready - in addition to any hair and make-up appointments.  Celebrations require a lot of planning... 
.... with Gold Accessories...
The Catholic Mass is a celebration to all believers.  Thus, like we would have an outfit chosen the night before for any special occasion we must also put effort and thought into what we wear to Mass on Sunday mornings: Adore the Lord in holy attire (Psalm 96:9).  It’s a sign of respect and honor because we are visiting God’s house and we will be celebrating the Eucharist.  When I was in Italy, a few months ago, and the Mass was about to begin at Saint Peters’ Square trumpets played the King’s entrance tune and for the first time I felt like the King of Kings was literally entering the celebration!  I’ve known that Jesus is truly present all these years in Mass, but that morning I truly grasped and made the connection that He’s King and that we are coming into the presence of royalty every time we celebrate Mass.  I had goose bumps and I remember whispering, “Today, I finally see you in your place my Lord, my King.”
My talented seven year old nephew took the pics.

That’s how this Modesty Sunday blog post idea came about.  My mind has been transformed for the better and I decided to document what I wear to Mass every Sunday.  I think it will be a fun to combine my love of fashion and also to show that at a plus size one can still look lovely.  It will be a post of self-acceptance through the Mass in a girlie manner (smile).  I am looking forward to talking more about modesty, clothes and embracing my femininity to honor my Lord. Hope you will join me on this ride. Kisses!  
Fashionably cute for Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute outfit, and I love the pictures! ;-)

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you see you tonight, let's exchange phone numbers-- remind me! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked beautiful as always ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks my friend looking forward to all the wedding fun!

    ReplyDelete