Monday, January 13, 2014

Love is in the Air

Store # 1 Davids' Bridal

On Saturday, I helped my Catholic friend find her wedding gown…  Three stores later and a full day gone, we narrowed the search to three dresses, now it’s up to her to select the one of her choice.  From a biblical and biological perspective men and women are different by design, this couldn’t be more apparent in gown shopping.  My friend had a posse of three: her two bridesmaids and her mom.  We oohed and awed every time she stepped out in a different gown - I am sure that men do not do that when getting fitted for a tux. 
Mami & daugther looking for perfect dress...
Angelo's Bridal Store #2

I love wearing make-up and getting dressed up- in fact my friends would all described me as extremely feminine – yet when it comes to men I like manly men.  Kahlil Gibran has this great simile on how a marriage should be like two columns supporting one structure, meaning that though one body the relationship should always allow for the couple to be their own person and to grow independently too.  I can be feminine and my husband can be masculine and together we will complement each other like a puzzle requires two different pieces to become one.  The creation story illustrates the beauty of man and woman; Adam was formed first and given the duty to name the plants and the animals and while looking at all of creation he felt incomplete.  God too felt like He needed to give someone to Adam to be whole and thus woman was created.  While Adam came from the soil of the ground Eve was formed from Adam's own body (wow)!  God seriously is an amazing, sentimental architect (smile).
Las tres Amigas
Helping choose the perfect gown...


As I get older I treasure my femininity because while my university education taught me that women should get tougher and become more like men to gain equality, I now see that God had it right since the beginning.  We were created equally different but same in value.  And being a wife and a mother is just as valuable as being a career woman - if not more.  I am happy to live in an era where women have rights, but I am learning to value the traditional gender roles as established by God. 
Store #3 Bonny's Bridal...
So many choices...
       

No comments:

Post a Comment