Monday, March 4, 2019

Passing the Light of Mother Mary


Before returning to my faith, I suffered from terrible night terrors.  There were nights when I would have such horrible dreams that I felt paralyzed unable to scream or move to force myself to wake up.  All sorts of scary things made sleeping anything, but enjoyable.   Thus, when I found a beautiful, vintage, porcelain Mother Mary nightlight during one of my thrifting adventures, I was thinking what a great find. Mother Mary’s literal light to keep me safe.  Yet, last week I realized that the nightlight was not meant for me she wanted to bring peace to someone that is currently having difficulty sleeping.  Thus, I gifted her to a woman whose twenty-nine-year marriage came to an end due to her husband’s infidelity. 
It’s funny how God places people in our paths that need our help. I was early waiting for a class to start and a woman sat next to me.  She was with heavy heart and needed someone to listen.  I smiled at her when she sat next to me, which encouraged her to begin talking to me.  She asked me how I was doing and I told her that I was a little sad because I had lost my dog.  We talked about losing pets and then she unveiled her woes to me.  She told me that she was trying to keep it together because only a month ago she discovered that her husband had another woman and two little children from this relationship.  “He has another family,” she cried.  “He’s been involved with her for at least four years since his kids are three and two.  He travels for work you see and at first he would be gone only a couple days a week, but lately he had been gone three even four days a week, but I didn’t think anything of it because we had been married for so long, I trusted him…” She continued telling me the shattered state of her heart and I was really not sure what to say, so I just listened.  When she was done, she thanked me for not offering any advice, “you know everyone has an opinion of what I should do, how I should feel, whether I should try to salvage my marriage or make him pay… In times like these I don’t want people’s input- I just want support…”

I don’t recall offering a word of consolation, I didn't have any, but when she finished and wiped her eyes, she thanked me for listening.  She just needed someone to listen without offering any advice.  During her narrative she shared that she had trouble sleeping and hated the nights.  While I don’t have any experienced being betrayed, I do know what is like to hate the closing of a day.  Anyone who suffers or has suffered from depression can tell you that the nights are the worst!  Being alone in the darkness with your thoughts, unable to sleep can be one of worst tortures.  Thus, I knew that Mother Mary wanted to light her nights, she didn’t want me to keep her in case one night I might need her.  Mother Mary wanted me to pass her on to someone who needed her light right now.  So, I placed my nightlight in a small gift bag and gave it to the woman the following week.  She was so happy that she would no longer go to a dark, empty house- Mother Mary would be waiting for her to get her through the difficult night.  It’s funny how God will place in our path people who are suffering worse, others we can help and by helping them we are also helping ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment