Thursday, October 19, 2017

Finding Hope in the Words of Saint Therese

Hurry and heal black eye, so that you look good with your Halloween outfit. :)

We all need a bit of encouragment every now and then, this morning I found much in the words of Saint Therese of Lisieux.  She happens to be my favorite female saint, while some people think that having favorites is not a good practice- I disagree.  Just like we bond with certain people more than we do with others, I believe it’s the same with our holy intercessors.  Saint Therese is my BFF and anytime I am running low on fuel, or need help I seek her confidance.  Her simple, poetic language always revives me with hope.  The following quotes were written in my journal a few years ago, when I attended a women’s retreat.  This morning I was flipping through the journal looking for something to inspire me and I knew I had to share these three quotes!

“What offends Him and what wounds His heart is the lack of confidence...  It is confidence, and confidence alone, that must lead us to love…”

It’s hard to trust another, even if the other is God.  Maybe that’s why throughout the bible He gives us example after example of trusting in Him.  Many of our ancestors failed miserably, which I find so comforting because God loved them even when they were unsuccessful.  We also are given two great examples (Jesus and Mary) of the blind faith that led their lives.  I find hope in both- in Jesus and Mary I have my aim, but in those who were weak I gather courage knowing that God loves me even when my confidence is lacking.

“Your heart is made to love Jesus, to love Him passionately; pray so that the beautiful years of your life may not pass by in chimerical fears…”

These past few days of uncertainty I have found great strength in God and His promises.  Yet, it’s easy to lose sight and focus on the fears.  Especially, for me who likes routine and these past weeks have at times pushed my mind into “the what if” territory.  Teaching my mind to focus on God and hope with great confidence in Him, can at times be challenged by fears of the unknown.  Just this morning I had to give myself a cheerful pep talk because my thoughts were drifting into future fears.  I had to refocus on God and send those fears a flying!  That’s why I love the quote above because it’s our choice as to what gets replayed in our mind throughout the day- what better rest than love all day long (smile).

“Every day is made up of hundreds of little moments that are opportunities to love God… We have only the short moments of our life to love Jesus.”

Once our mind is immersed in God, then our actions are those of love.  Our view is no longer centered around me, but on how I can love God through the service of those in greater need than I.  It goes back to trust, if I place my trust in God then I am freed to love others because my worries are obliterated the moment I place my confidence in Him (smile).  Thank you Saint Therese! 


FYI Post timings and days might change during this period of transition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment