Thursday, April 20, 2017

Seven Churches Visitation

On Holy Thursday, I ventured on my own, keeping Jesus’ company through the tradition of seven churches visitation.  Last year I invited the members of my RCIA team, this year I went alone and afterwards my teammates asked why I didn’t extend the invitation to them again.  It seems like they enjoyed the tradition too (smile).  For practically, I began at the parish that is most near my home because they also begin services earlier than surrounding parishes.  Since churches in Orange County are not as close together as they are in Rome (where this ancient, pious tradition began) one needs to factor in travel time so that the goal can be reached before Jesus is taken back to the tabernacle usually around midnight.  This tradition (credited to Saint Philip Neri) is a powerful way to spend time in adoration meditating on the sacrifice of love Jesus made for us and the salvific meaning as we await his rising on Easter.  This year I divided the Stations of the Cross so that at each location I would pray and mediate on two and by the end of my pilgrimage I felt so fortified and thankful for living post Jesus when His passion and resurrection give me such hope for what’s to come.  In my county, I usually get to visit Jesus and participate in worship with the Anglo, Hispanic and Asian communities; thus, my night is totally multicultural.  Each community adds a personal style of worship, like at our Lady of La Vang parish the Vietnamese community chants beautifully its prayers.  At other locations in Santa Ana I get to hear the comforting sounds of my native tongue and the altars of repose also stylistically reflect the various cultures.  Getting to witness the many cultures coming together (while keeping their authenticity) in celebrating the same Holy Thursday traditions gives the pilgrim a feeling of unity.  Whether English, Spanish or Vietnamese we are all connected through Jesus!  Every year following this tradition gives my Easter experience a deeper meaning because I connect with Jesus and my church family in such an extraordinary way. 
Last post, I shared how there’s different types of Catholics and what I wanted to communicate is that we are all in different stages in our spiritual journey.  For example, I never imagined that I would be traveling to keep Jesus’ company after Holy Thursday services. I never thought nor wanted to exceed the minimal requirements of my faith, but when love beacons one cannot be at peace unless one follows its’ call.  We have the great tale of “Jonah and the Whale” that teaches us that we can’t run from the plans of God.  As I become more immersed in my faith, as this craving for God increases my surrender to His holy will slowly improves.  I go from a girl who looked for ways of getting out of fasting to a person who understands the role of small sacrifices.  There’s different types of Catholics and that’s what makes Catholicism so special because it accepts everyone wherever we might be and encourages us to grow, but waits until we are ready to do so.  Jonah ran away and then needed to spend some time meditating in the belly of a whale until he was ready to answer God’s call.  His story is so relatable that’s why it’s garnered much popularity.

Traveling on Holy Thursday from parish to parish shows me how different our church family is - these differences is what makes Catholicism universal.  That our church takes such measures to preserve the identity of each community is such a great example for us to follow.  I’ve heard friends tell me not to go to a certain parish because they are too liberal or vice versa; but, to me the fact that we can have both extremes and the in-between is a testimony that God doesn’t have boundaries to speak to each of us personally.  That our spiritually has room for the very orthodox and the very charismatic is such a richness- because there’s room for everyone.  And we can all learn so much from one another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment