Monday, March 14, 2016

Catholic Community Weddings

My soon-to-be Godson and his beautiful wife.

On Saturday, I was invited to witness the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony for three of my students from RCIA during our parish’s community weddings.  Two students were from last year and one from this year (who will also will be my godson at Easter Vigil).  I was so excited to be part of their special day and for the blessing of seeing their ongoing conversion.  Last year I had a timid woman, who came with a lot of hurt and was dealing with a recent loss of a friend.  We became friends during the course of the class and I remember asking her about considering marriage by the church (since she was already civilly wedded) and she was a bit apprehensive about how her husband would feel.  To our surprise this year her husband appeared on day one of RCIA to prepare to receive his sacraments and during the class God moved him and on Saturday both of my students joined in holy matrimony!  Last year I also had a man in the course in a similar situation- and through the course I saw how God was changing him into a better version of himself.  He was living with his partner of years and they have four children together.  In his case he was unsure how his lady would feel about getting married; yet, on Saturday the couple looked stunningly happy.  RCIA is about leading our students to have an encounter with God and from that encounter to propel them into an ongoing conversion.  Thus, to witness this special moment in the lives of my students testified to the great work the Holy Spirit is doing through our ministry (smile).
 Three of the seven couples getting hitched!
Sacramentals: el lazo, las arras, & bouquet for Mother Mary. 
The entrance, the vows, the blessing, presenting bouquet to Mary.

Our parish’s community wedding joined seven couples in holy matrimony this weekend.  It was new to me to see so many couples at once celebrate the sacrament and I kept thinking how awesome my faith is and our church.  I have heard in my circles (from people that are quite ignorant about Catholicism) that the fees charged by the church for weddings are outrageous.  The mentality is that because God is generous the church shouldn’t ever ask for money.  Yet, because God is generous we need to be generous too.  God never asks for something that He isn’t already.  We give monetary donations to the church to help sustain it and the church offers many ways to lessen financial burdens.  Community weddings are a way to help couples with financial woes.  
What God has joined...
Couple Two: My Student from last year and his beautiful bride.

Money should never be an object when it comes to celebrating sacraments.  It still saddens me that some feel so offended when it comes to giving money to the church, people spend tons of money on weddings; yet, on the Eucharistic celebration they feel entitled to have it free of charge.  I understand their argument that all things God related should be free, but we have to understand that our money is supporting parish maintenance and our priests.  No one (not the priests) is keeping the money and growing rich from it.  In fact, every parish at least once a year does a breakdown for the community of how the money taken in is spent.  Any who that’s my rant on parish finances (smile).  My point is that money shouldn’t be an impediment for getting married by the church.
What I wore.

Jessica Simpson Tights: Retails: $13 TJ Max on Sale: $2
Miss Sixty Purple Suede Pumps: Retail: $129  Thrifted: $14.99
Japelle bu Shilton International Vintage 80’s Clutch: Yard Sale: $1
Betsey Johnson Ring: Gift
Betsey Johnson Multi Layered Black Beads Bracelet: Retails: 24.99 Yard Sale: $1.00
Vintage Earrings: Yard Sale: $1.00
Flower Statement Necklace: Retail: $9.99 Yard Sale: $2
Ellen Tracy Polka-dot Cardigan: Retail: $29.99 Thrifted: $5.99
Mossimo Fit & Flare Dress: Retail: $29.99 Thrifted: $8.99

No comments:

Post a Comment