Monday, December 28, 2015

So Long 2015: My Six for 2016

This is the time of year when we begin making our New Year’s resolutions.  The theme of “new year, new you” dominates the media and while there’s nothing wrong with setting goals to motivate us to become better people- many of us mimic the popular culture and make extremely superficial aims.  Objectives so insignificant that really don’t challenge or inspire us to continue our earthly transformation into better versions of ourselves.  I was reading an article comparing the New Year resolutions between people in third world countries versus people in developed countries and the simplicity and depth of the poor always makes me ponder my privileged life.  As I sat and thought of what I hoped in 2016 I was really inspired to dig deep and find areas that I want to convert and grow.  Areas that will help me become a better me and as a result will impact my relationships with my God given lot.
Let go and let God- These past couple of months I learned a great lesson- to let go and trust God.  I have a bit of a control problem.  I feel safe when I am in control and these past couple of months God has been teaching me to transfer my control to Him.  It’s been a scary and uncomfortable process, but am hoping that what has begun in me will continue to grow this New Year.  In the Divine Mercy image, God told Saint Faustina to write underneath the painting, “Jesus, I trust in You.”  That’s my theme for this New Year to transfer my reign and continuously pray, “Jesus, I trust in You.”
Study the life of the Saints- Once a month I am going to adopt a new saint and study his/her life.  Am hoping to find saints that will encourage me to work in areas that I struggle.  To have holy people who inspire and motivate me to press on and continue peeling layers off of my heavenly Father.  I would like to study women in the Bible too- I have many books that I am hoping I will be able to study this year in an effort to continue growing in wisdom and faith.  For conversion is an ongoing process for all of us this side of heaven.   
Found this NY flute with Jan engraved at Goodwill for $1!

Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church- Can you believe that I have never read it in full!  This year I would like to begin to study the "tradition" of my faith more deeply.

Attend Mass- We should all be going to Mass on Sundays and days of obligation- this year I want to add another week day to my attendance.  I love attending Eucharistic services, yet I get lazy during the week.  Instead of doing so many talks and activities this new year I will opt to go to Mass (smile).
Prayer- I have been working on building a prayer area in my room so that I can be more inspired to spend daily time with God.  In addition, I want to continue attending Eucharistic Adoration on Mondays at my parish.  I go through periods where I am really inspired to pray and then times when it becomes really difficult to do so- this year I want to remain constant regardless of my emotions.
Happy New Years from In My Shoes!

Works of Mercy- I can be really self-centered and forget about others so this year I want to work on helping my neighbor and those in need.  This is the Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy, Pope Francis calls all Catholics to perform works mercy and be imitators of Christ.  This is a time to “find joy in rediscovering and rendering fruitful God’s mercy, which we are all called to give comfort to every man and every woman in our time.” 

These are my six for this New Year.  Even if I don’t accomplish all of them I am hopeful that growth will occur.  May you be inspired, my reader, to continue growing in Christ.  Have a blessed and happy New Year! Thanks for reading.   

2 comments:

  1. Penny, you have inspired me to add more faith filled activities into my life for 2016, too. Thank you for taking time to write such an inspiring blog. May God bless you and your loved ones each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! We are all part of a team (God's team) - and together we can get to heaven (smile). Thanks for reading. Keep up the good work in promoting the wrongs of human trafficking. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete