Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Be the Author of Your Story

As children we depend on grown-ups to make all the important decisions, we rely on their wisdom to make choices that will permanently affect our beings for better or worse.  We have no control in our dependent youth, but as we mature into adulthood we hold the key to live our lives as we always imagined.  When I went on my first spiritual retreat I was angry with so many adults that had hurt me as a child and I felt like I was a product of that pain.  All the bitterness, violence and negativity that I had witnessed were the reason I was such a difficult person to please.  My motto was: this is who I am, if you don’t like it close the door on your way out. I was easily offended, demanding, resentful and unforgiving… 

I want to be the best friend...

I casted blame on others for my circumstances because it was easier and even comfortable to assign culpability to everyone else.  Accusing others defined me and all the negativity I produced could be traced to something or someone in my past- never me. I am like this because this happened or he made me this way… One day (in therapy) my counselor challenged that damaging life philosophy, “you are an adult now Penny, you have the control to choose the life you want to live and the power to create the woman that you aspire…”

The best auntie...

When I taught preschool some parents were notorious for telling their kids (in an attempt to discipline them), “don’t do that little Johnny because your teacher is going to get mad.”  Instead of dealing with the problem they transferred their power to me with that phrase.  I, the teacher, was the one who gained the respect of their children because sadly I dealt with the problem not the parent.  In a similar way that’s what we do when we blame others for who we are - we transfer our potential to someone else. We rob ourselves the opportunity to heal and to mature.
The best mami & godmother...

I read an article yesterday about the top five regrets dying people shared to a palliative nurse, number one was: I wish I had the courage to live a life true to myself.  And number three was: I wish I had the courage to express my feelings. Don’t wait until you are at your death bed to live honestly, to look at yourself in the mirror and understand that you are much more than a product of a painful past.   Take control and own up to your weaknesses because only when you discover these can you work to convert them into strengths.  In matters of two, I will never be able to change or control the actions of the other, but I have total power to create a life worthy of me, worthy of all those deep dreams engraved in my heart.
The best daughter...


Who do you want to be?  What type of life do you want to have?  Who do you want to share your life with? What type of daughter, sister, friend, girlfriend, wife, mother, child of God do you want to be?  What type of family do you want to create with your spouse?  It’s your choice, your life.  Find the courage - it’s in you (God placed it there)! SMILE

The best Catholic...

No comments:

Post a Comment