Monday, July 23, 2018

The Importance of Meeting Others Like Me in Church

Team Priests.

As someone who returned to the Catholic Church after almost two decades of being away, I understand that conversion happens in stages.  In the initial stages I just wanted to discover that Catholics were normal, meaning that faith didn’t create a cult mentality.  That I could still be me in the world and believe in God.  During that time more than anything I looked for social things to do and friendships to develop.  These encounters gave me confidence to surrender more to God and things that were a spiritual challenge slowly began to make sense and a love of these holy practices started to develop.  Children are not the only ones that find attending Mass difficult, new believers do too.  I still remember how difficult establishing my Sunday Eucharist routine was and how it took a couple years to make Mass attendance a priority.  Thus, every Sunday when my nephew gets upset and whines about going to Mass I get it. 
Recently, he told me that he’s not sure if he believes in God.  He’s quite an inquisitive, bright child and he has a lot of questions about how God and science add up.  I’ve done my best to answer his questions because I know all those scientific theories propelled me away from my faith and finding intelligent answers to my questions was what eventually restored it.  Thus, I ordered a couple videos from Father Spitzer for the two of us to watch together on origins and God.  I also spoke with the woman in charge of child faith development at my church and she’s giving me some age appropriate books for him to read.  Additionally, I spoke with Father and he told us that when we are done watching the videos my nephew can come and talk to him with whatever questions he might still have.  In addition, to lifting him in prayer I also have been taking him to fun social parish events that show him that church not only includes attendance at Sunday Mass. 
Final score Seminarians 65 Priests 60.

I recall how important (initially) it was for me to be around others in social settings that did normal things, but still were on fire for God.  So, I have been a little more proactive in bringing him to social events.  Though his parents aren’t fully practicing they allow me to share my faith with him and that’s a blessing.  Last week, we went to the parish bonfire and he immediately hit it off with a boy near his age who is home schooled and also the son of one of the parish’s leading catechists.  They bonded over RoBlocks and now both virtually play on the computer.  I also took him to a basketball game where our priests faced the seminarians in a great match.  This made him see that even priests are regular people who love and serve the Lord, but enjoy a little fun.  Am very blessed to have a diocese that has many social events that help not only my nephew, but all those beginning their faith journey see that (we) Catholics are normal people.  I wanted to share this story because if you have a loved one or a friend who you want to lead to God it’s important to introduce them to the community.  God gave us community knowing how much we need one another to thrive…  Thus, I ask you to please keep my nephew in your prayers so that God reveals Himself to him and that the truth sets my “love bug” free.
He predicts that Team Priests are going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment