Thursday, July 5, 2018

Independence Day: Seeing God's goodness


Pray for us, that we will have the grace to see Your goodness in our experiences every day…
When I first returned to the faith I thought that God could only be experienced in big, spiritual moments inside the church.  That when people spoke of making our lives one of constant prayer it meant me kneeling in front of an altar for most of my day.  Now I know that living prayerfully means inviting God into our daily activities.  Yesterday, I took my nephew to the Battleship Iowa Museum.  On our way there I put on a David Crowder CD that inspired great conversation - one that ranged from Homer Simpson choosing hell because of a donut - which I cleared as inaccurate because hell won’t have donuts since they are good and all good things belong in heaven (calorie free of course) to his new favorite computer game, Roblocks.  As we toured the ship we learned a great deal about American history and weapons of mass destruction- the latter being a topic of much interest among my eleven-year-old-nephew. 
When we returned home, we joined the rest of the family for a barbecue.  We shared a meal that prompted great conversation and togetherness.  Usually when we gather there’s much laughter because we truly enjoy each other’s company.  Making time for family is important, my parents love when they are included in celebrations.  Something that I not always made a priority.  Before I used to plan things with friends and discard my parents and family aside, now I see how happy they get when I dedicate time to be with them and I realize what a blessing it is that I still have them with me to share these moments.     
At night we headed to the front of the house to light up our stash of fireworks along with the neighbors we lit the sky for a good chunk of a time.  We were never on our knees, but the presence of God remained with us throughout the day.  Making time for our loved ones, for our aging parents or our young children are ways that invite God into our lives and when He’s invited evidence of His presence is so evident. Hope you had a Happy Independence Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment