Monday, July 16, 2018

My Love Story with the Sacrament of Confession

After my brother died, I attended several Christian churches where confession happened privately between the person and God without an intermediary, but as the Eucharist was calling me home I kept thinking of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  Since my first communion, I hadn’t gone to confession with a priest until I was thinking of returning to the Catholic Church - almost twenty years later.  I remember the day I finally made the decision I went to Saint Barbara Catholic Church and stood in line waiting for my turn to go into the confessional all along carrying this great anxiety. Mostly, I was thinking about receiving penance and because I didn’t understand the concept I kept telling God that if I was given a few Hail Mary’s I would be disappointed.  Of course, there was also the concern that the priest was going to be judgmental, maybe even mean when I shared my sins; however, what pressed most deeply, was the penance I would get – how could a few repetitive prayers cleanse me of my sins?     

When my turn came I went inside and knelt down next to the screen window and I repeated a phrase I had often heard in movies, “forgive me Father for I have sinned.”  Then I told the priest that I had no idea what I was doing and with great patience he guided me through my first confession as an adult.  When it came to a close, I waited for my penance and it never came.  So, I asked him if it was ok for me to pray in the parish and attend Mass even though I had so much confusion about Catholicism.  He let out a little laugh and said that it was my home.  Still no penance.  Finally, he said I could go in peace and I walked back into the world without the list of Hail Mary’s I thought all penitents received after confession.  I sat in the pew marveling at how wonderful God is because I was so apprehensive about penance and I didn’t get any.  In fact, my initial times in confession I left the confessional without any penance and I realized that God was making me comfortable – working at my pace in my Catholic conversion. 
Without planning I went to my first confessions with the same priest and each time he made the experience more positive.  Around the third time he asked me to come around and sit right next to him (as if we were two friends) this invitation helped when he handed me a copy of the Act of Contrition and told me quite directly, “I know you don’t know this part, but I would like you to learn it. Today you can read it.”  Each time I went to confession God revealed a little more about the ritual and the way that little bits were presented to me over a long period of time really helped my conversion.  The day I finally received penance it had nothing to do with praying three Hail Mary’s, but more on correcting actions to mend my wrongs and praying for God to help me…
I still get tense when going to confession because I am aware of my weaknesses those that have led me to sin; but, I love that in the Catholic Church confession is a Sacrament.  That there’s a clear ritual that teaches each of us how to seek forgiveness and bring us back into community. I love the examination of conscience because it helps me to really spend time thinking and becoming aware of my sins.  I love that a priest serves as the presence of God – one that helps me by being His ears and His voice to guide me in this world. I even love penance because NOW I understand its significance one that aims to help us grow in holiness.  Going from a person who went directly to God to repent of my sins, I find the Catholic ritual makes me more accountable and boy is it nice to go into that confessional with a list on my sins and to come out and tear that list and place it in the trash knowing that I am back in harmony.  Through the ritual and with the help of the priest, I find that I spend more time and effort than I ever did before (when it was just God and I) thinking of how I failed and desiring to confess, ask for forgiveness and reconcile with God and His Church.  The wisdom of the Catholic Church truly is beautiful (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment