Thursday, July 12, 2018

My Love Affair with Melissa Jelly Shoes


Back in the eighties, summer of eighty-seven to be exact we walked into a Thrifties store on our way to Lake Elsinore and in the center isle I found a pair of the most obnoxious, green jelly sandals.  All the girls were wearing them and the lively television commercials claimed to be the “it” shoe of the summer.  The pair I found was in the clearance section most likely because of the horrid green color, but to little-seven-year-old me they were my Cinderella slipper.  I begged my parents (mostly mom) to pay the few dollars for my dream shoes and after much teasing about the ugly shade, I convince her.  The tag on them even claimed to glow in the dark- while I would have preferred a pair with glitter – glow-in the dark had its appeal.  Mom suggested I wear them to the lake since they were water proof and when I got there my favorite cousin teased me severely- making jokes about Penny never getting lost because those shoes could be seen from miles away, or how even if I went missing in the dark those shoes would be my saving grace.  Knowing his clownish sense of humor I laughed and later proved him wrong when one of my precious shoes was carried away by the current of the river to never be found again.  I only wore those shoes for a few hours before they were gone leaving me with only a love for plastic shoes.
Fast-forward to the new millennium and the return of fashion from yesterday - bringing back to life and to production jelly shoes!  Brazilian brand Melissa perfected the eighties jelly shoe turning it into all sorts of perfect contortions: heels, flats, sandals, boots… The shoes are even scented in all types of yummy bubblegum flavors a signature smell that takes me back to the summer I first fell in love with plastic shoes.  In 2004, after many creative partnerships with top fashion designers and celebrity faces the brand launched from Brazil to conquer the rest of the world.  Today, as the craze for jelly shoes is coming to an end (like all trends usually do) to me they continue to make my heart skip a beat.  Shopping second hand has had its advantages in helping me try many styles all for less than ten percent of their whopping over one-hundred dollar price tag.  Some things never change, I am still the thrifty shopper that my mother molded me into, but I haven’t had a river separate any of my pairs (smile).  The best part is that they are one-hundred percent recyclable.  Shoes that are good for the planet- say what!      
I had a friend ask me what my favorite planet-human friendly brands are and I thought that I would feature one on here now and again.  Now if plastic shoes are not your thing, the line also has the very popular Mini Melissa line for little girls.  Be sure to check them out - the shoes are made in Brazil and are super durable. I have a pair that I always wear to walk Dollar when it rains or the grass is soggy and I love them- good for dog walking say what!  The many designer collaborations has also produced quite beautiful pieces, so give them a try.
Melissa Kristen Night Mary Jane Pumps
Vivienne Westwood for Melissa Anglomania Heart Stamp Peep-Toe
Melissa Patchulli VII Wedge
Jason Wu for Melissa Trippy Ballet Flat
Melissa Wanting Blush Bow Flats
Vivienne Westwood for Melissa Lady Dragon Tortoise Shell bow Peep-Toe
Mel Dreamed by Melissa POP IV Bow Flats
Melissa Harmonic Floral Flip Flops

No comments:

Post a Comment