Thursday, July 19, 2018

6 Stylish Ways to Beat the Summer Heat Modestly

After a long winter, temperatures are extremely high in Orange County- which has this fashion loving girl in disarray putting away the sweaters and looking for items that will help cool me down while keeping me modest.  Yikes, transitioning from one season to the next (or as it is known in California from cold to hot) can be a bit stressful for women because we get bombarded with images of what we should look like, images that sometimes leave little to the imagination.  Nevertheless, as women who belong to the King we must dress like royalty, classy as if we're as photographed as much as Duchess Kate because we are role models in our communities.  While the magazines might speak one message of sultry and sexy- we can also speak a message reflecting the beauty of Christ by dressing with dignity valuing our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit.

My one weakness is that I like to read fashion magazines and lately I have been seeing a lot of messages that indicate that feminism is taking your clothes off or wearing the skimpiest outfit imaginable.  If that is what feminist now is, I don’t want any part of it.  I wonder if the women who fought throughout history for our rights if they would agree with the way modern celebrities define feminism as the right to bare all. Recently, Demi Moore’s daughter walked around the streets of New York topless because she wanted to make a point that she’s a feminist and she’s comfortable with her body.  Another popular idea that people are using to expose themselves, “I love my body so much that I will reveal as much as possible.” The messages I get when I see this kind of exposure is not one of empowerment or equally.  In fact, I think that instead of progress – I see objectification – something that true feminists have fought hard to move away from.  If we study progressive women in history we see a desire for women to be seen as more than a pretty face or killer body – a message today lost in translation…

Moving back to staying cool while keeping your clothes on (smile) here’s my fab six list.  All items were thrifted bargains (except my tee).
1) Fun accessories like a floppy hat. I have a lot of different hats, but I usually run out the door and forget to grab one.  Hat's are not only fun, but essential to keeping skin safe from harmful sun rays. 
2) Light tee or flowy top.  I am not the type of girl that wears plain t-shirts unless it has a clever quote, like the graphic tees from J Crew the one I'm wearing is my latest find it's got "Champagne" highlighted in sequins! I do prefer tops with a little more detail like the one below with eyelet sleeves.
3) Light fabrics. Oh, how I love linen and cotton they remind me of Cuba or the Caribbean.  So fresh and so crisp especially in lighter colors.  The top above is from Ann Taylor and it has puffed eyelet sleeves reminiscent of Anne of Green Gables and her dress with puffed sleeves (smile).
4) Sandals or Wedges. A pop of color, beading or tassels and sandals are the staple for warm weather. I love these metallic giant bow Rebecca Minkoff Calista sandals, lately I have been living in them! 
Need something a little dressier add the height of a wedge like these Betsey Johnson picnic inspired espadrilles.
5) Summer Dresses.  During the summer I enjoy more casual, simple designs with airflow that keep me fresh and comfortable. The dress above is from the Gap, a super pleasant linen shirt dress.
6) Fun Shades. These are the Von Zipper Alotta sunglasses they have this edgy vintage vibe to them and the oversize is a bit 60's drama.  

Almost all of the items featured were secondhand finds, as you can see top designer brands in pristine condition can also be found at thrift stores.  Hope you enjoyed the list and remember to hydrate (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment