Thursday, June 23, 2016

Thrifted Modest Summer Outfit

I have come across many modesty posts from various Christian blogs that complain about the lack of modest clothing being offered at stores.  They seem to agree that hems are too high and that necklines are too low.  I always wonder where these girls shop, whether they lack imagination or maybe they just like to complain (smile).  What’s that cliché it’s not the clothes that make the woman beautiful (in this case modest) it’s the woman that makes the clothes come to life.  Growing up materially poor meant that we needed to get creative with what we had.  Often I have shared about my mother’s ability to refashion beautiful creations from old garments.  My sister designed and made beautiful clothes from cheap scraps of fabric.  Thus, I learned through example, that clothes like life are full of possibility.  Am not blind I do see immodest clothing on celebrities, when out shopping and sadly on impressionable young girls trying too hard to fit in. BUT I also see great alternatives, cute items that pass the modesty test.  However, if I like something that is too low cut, too short or too tight – I think of ways of evangelizing my selections by wearing a cute undershirt beneath it, or extending the hem, or getting a bigger size.  If I can’t transform the garment to my satisfaction I put it back and continue on my way.  The other day at a family party a lady danced very provocatively with a group of other women and her husband (who was sitting) was really upset by her behavior. This opened a great discussion in our home about modesty.  My mom commented that the issue was not dancing, because even married women should dance at gatherings with friends.  The problem was the way this woman was moving her body during a family (public) event.  I think the same concept can be applied to clothing.  It’s not the clothes that are immodest (in most cases) it’s the way people style them that makes them improper.


At Paséa Hotel in Huntington Beach.

Thrifted five dollar dress.


Brand New Michael Kors thrifted wedges!

Last night I went to an event last minute with my friend and it was a great opportunity to get fancy.  The dress that I wore I thrifted a few months ago – in fact my whole outfit is comprised of secondhand items. I’ve seen this style of dresses at most retailers and I think the style is feminine and modest.  The Michael Kors metallic wedges are a thrifting score! I found them brand new for a few bucks.  My raffia shoulder bag completed my summer look.   Due to the high temperatures I wore my hair up trying to keep cool.  So, if I can find modest pieces shopping secondhand anyone can (smile) sometimes we might need to tap into our creative side.
Thrifted Vintage jewelry... Enjoying some Italian Ice. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment