Monday, June 20, 2016

Diocesan Rosary at the Beach

On Saturday, I attended the annual diocesan rosary at the beach for my first time.  When I saw the event invite I was immediately drawn to it because I really love praying outdoors.  Next to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament- being with God out in nature is my favorite forms of worship.  It reminds me of the day that I opened my heart to God (as an adult), the day my brother was in the ER and I was out in the parking lot of the hospital and God came to me in a gust of wind.  Since, that’s the way He often reveals Himself to me, through His artful creation…
 Just a couple of seagulls chillin'.
 Praying outside is awesome!
The rosary at the beach has been an annual event the diocese hosts as a way of bringing young people together for fellowship and prayer.  The afternoon begins with socializing, roasting hot dogs, then praying the rosary together, followed by singing around the bonfire and roasting s’mores.  I really had a great time catching up with friends, meeting new ones and overall sharing my faith with others.  We had a big group come out from parishes around the diocese and to me it always motivates me to see so many young people defying the social norms by living a life for Christ.  A lot of the people in attendance were college aged kiddos and at times one in her thirties can feel a little old (smile).  There’s just a bit of an over-thirty deficit in attendance at some of these events, but I guess being around youngins can help the spirit remain youthful (LOL).
 Sharing a moment with friends.
 Getting dinner ready.
Roasting Hot Dogs.
 S'mores.
Singing around the fire. 

The rosary was really special because I asked the leader if we could offer it for a friend of mine who lost her brother and who I (along with some close friends) have been praying a novena for.  To have over a hundred people praying for my friend, her family and the soul of the departed was super beautiful.  I sent her pictures afterwards to share this with her because I know that when my brother passed away and people would tell us about these tributes and memorials it helped placed ointment on my wound.  Sometimes, there’s nothing we can do to help alleviate another person’s hurt- other than show them God’s infinite love through our prayerful actions. God listens to our pleas and comforts those who mourn.
 United in prayer.

I learned that it’s the eighth year the diocese hosts this event and for my first time attending, I give it a two thumbs up.    

No comments:

Post a Comment