Thursday, June 16, 2016

Less than Thirty Dollars Theatre Outfit

When I was in High School I attended my first theatre production.  My English teacher offered extra credit for those who went to see “Kimberly Akimbo.”  I remember he coached us on proper dress attire for theatre going by reading an excerpt by a Chicano writer.  The author stressed the way that Mexicans have a tendency to over dress- my maternal grandma would call this wearing hasta el molcajete!  Yeah, we Mexican’s (much like Catholicism) celebrate life usually with loud, exaggerated flare.  The more bling the better!  Our teacher wanting to prepare us for unexplored territory attempted to instruct us on the proper etiquette of the theatre world.  He taught us that there are different dress codes people abide by, but he did so by reading this hilarious piece on the realities that when a Mexican hears party we generally hear one thing “time to dress to the tens” we don’t do nines (LOL).  In a very inoffensive way he taught us that one must dress up to attend theatre, but not overdo it with top hat unless the invite states so.  For the first time I was introduced into the different kinds of formal attire.  I remember the night of the play, I wore a simple cocktail dress and tried very hard to not disappoint my favorite teacher.  Then the play started and I knew that I had found something special.  While most of the kids in my class who attended didn’t think much of the experience I was fascinated by the whole night and since I have been a theatre nerd.  Every time while I get ready to go to a production I think of that day in class when I learned inbetween raucous laughter the do’s and don’ts of theatre dress code!
Last night, I went to see “The Little Mermaid” with some of my friends from work.  The play is seriously fantastic- the costumes are mesmerizing, the singing and music topnotch and the set and special effects are some of the best I’ve seen in theatre.  It’s still playing for quite a few more dates so if you get the chance go watch it! 
Now to the thrifty part of today’s post, my outfit is 100% completely thrifted!  Sometimes I get lucky and score brand new items like this nautical dress from the Loft with the $79.50 price still intact.  I love stripes and this dress not only has stripes, but it’s a shift dress with a wide ruffle bottom seam (it reminds me of Lucy’s dress from Peanuts).  
I paired my dress with J Crew’s Floating Pearl Necklace, Betsey Johnson Bow Pearl Earrings (old), MK watch (old), stacked pearl bracelets, 
my Seychelles Anthology beaded Sandal 
and my JPK Paris raffia crossbody. 

If I would have paid retail I would have spent $319.48 before taxes on just four items, as is on those four items I spent a grand total of $26.96 (thrift stores are taxed exempt).  So, not only do I follow the theatre dress code guidelines, I also manage to do it on a budget (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment