Thursday, June 30, 2016

Patriotic Thrifted Outfit: Happy Fourth of July

The accessories: my espadrilles look like a cherry pie would if it were a shoe!

Buying American made products is a way to participate actively in patriotic cheer.  Maybe you’ve heard the horror stories about dangerous work environments, human exploitation and child labor in relation to cheap overseas manufacturing – well today’s post is about raising awareness about the good we can do by paying closer attention to where our money goes.  Purchasing products manufactured in America lets consumers know that we are interested in supporting companies that comply with ethical labor standards.  Our purchases cast votes.  Let’s cast votes that support American economy, are eco-friendly and provide fair labor and product quality standards.  Statistic show that ninety-eight percent of clothing purchased is imported leaving only two percent domestically made.  Yikes!  This might leave you thinking that US products are non-existent; but though they are hard to find they are still around (smile).  Though, I do most of my shopping secondhand, when I find USA made products (which is often) I feel like I am contributing to the good of local business culture.  My sisters knows that when I find things that are locally made I get noisily excited because she usually rolls her eyes.  “Oh, my- Oh, my - this is US made!” Followed by my happy dance. 
Keep cool during the day with an American Living dress, fun summer shoes and a cute hat!
 These Betseyville espadrille slingbacks remind me of a picnic (thrifted 9.99). 
Add a red belt (old), some shades (Kate Spade Yardsale find $2.99) 
and a straw hat (thrifted $2.99) and you are ready for the hot sun.
The brands logo makes this navy blue dress a must for Independence Day.

Since the fourth of July is approaching, I decided the perfect thrifty post would involve this dress that I found a few weeks ago- for $4.75 from an ultra-patriotic brand that not only makes clothing here, but stamps it with our country bird, the American Bald Eagle.  There’s something about this fit and flare polo dress that screams patriotism.  I almost feel like a bit of a hypocrite wearing it because I generally don’t celebrate Independence Day because of one wimpy dog afraid of fireworks.  Usually my fourths are uneventful days spent curled on a sofa trying to calm my dog until the sedatives begin to work and then making sure I didn’t over drug him!  The responsibilities of a dog momma sometimes triumph over merriment.  Though, a couple years ago my friends convinced me to go away for the weekend - I had a great time and my dog survived my absence.  Yet, due to the sedatives he’s a handful so I like to be present, besides it’s the one day a year I sacrifice which he is totally worth.  Back to the dress, it’s made of light cotton and super comfortable for attending a parade, watching fireworks or just relaxing at home with one spoiled pup.
 As day cools add a patriotic scarf (Kate Spade thrifted $5.99)
Or a cute jacket (Marc Jacobs thrifted $5.25)

The other day, I was reading a friend's Facebook post asking why people spend so much on brand named items when they would be just as happy and with more money in their pocket if they tried a cheap alternative.  Cheap alternatives usually come at a high price for someone and that someone is usually too poor to voice his/her exploitation.  Usually with a higher price tag consumers pay for quality, quality in both materials and craftsmanship.  This quality produces longer life on a garment which means that it’s made to last.  In addition, most quality brands try to keep the integrity of their label so that consumers will shell out the higher fee.  I was once trying to explain this to a woman and she said, “But most people in third world countries don’t know they are getting low wages, or that they are working in unethical conditions - they are just thankful for work.  Our country blesses them with work!”  She might be right that the majority of the workers overseas might be grateful for the work, but we KNOW, we know that our greed and consumerism is exploiting the weak and our planet.  We can’t use ignorance as our escape goat because we KNOW the consequences of our actions and Jesus says, “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”  Money talks, let’s use it to say I care America, I care world.  Happy Fourth!     
Keeping in theme with this make-up bag turned clutch (Spartina 449 thrifted $2.99)

No comments:

Post a Comment