Thursday, June 9, 2016

As Seen On Celebrities: All Saints Crimean Boots

I have been cleaning and donating… As a thrifter I need to make sure that I don’t become a hoarder!  While cleaning I came across this pair of boots that I scored at Savers for three dollars, they were in mint condition!  When I saw them, I thought I didn’t think I needed another pair, but when I saw the brand and the price I rushed to the cashier to make sure I wasn’t dreaming!  Sure enough my AllSaints Spitalfields Crimean Boots (yep designer shoes have names) were half off the regular six dollar tag! I might have done my happy dance in front of the sales lady because these retail well over 175 bucks a pair.  Thus, I wasn’t surprised to discover that actress Jessica Biel had been wearing them around town a few years back!  This modern update to the iconic bony boot makes them a classic staple that won’t suffer aging in matters of fashion (wohoo)!  The brand released this style in 2012 and they are just as in fashion today as they were a few years back (hence classic)…   When I saw them I immediately thought of taking them out for a night of dancing at The Ranch because they have a western feel to them, but so far I have worn them in my daily non-dancing life and they fit right in with my casual wardrobe.
My mom grew up materially poor and after we moved to the USA from Mexico my family again suffered quite an impoverished time.  In elementary, we used to have this show-and-tell activity everyday where two children would share something with the class.  A lot of the kids would show off their new shoes (probably because they forgot their show and tell item) and we would sing this song, “New shoes, new shoes, who has new shoes? (Name of Child) has new shoes.” Then everyone would clap.  I don’t think I ever had a pair of new shoes to share so I always made sure I took a toy to share and this song was never sung to me… The things we remember when we grow up…  I always got clothes and shoes that were on the sale rack, so I never really got to choose the style.  Then one day in middle school my mom got me a pair from Payless, these hightops that I was able to choose for the very first time.  I remember she paid around twenty-dollars (full-price) which to us was a small fortune.  On my way to the bus that day I sang the new shoes song silently in my head…
Since she grew-up poor, my mom encourages us to enjoy the fruits of our labors.  “If you like it buy it and enjoy it,” she constantly encourages me.  And I do just that, but always at a bargain price (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment