Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Trick-or-Treat

Since it’s the first of October, I wanted to share that I love Halloween.  For a Christian, I think that’s a rather devious statement due to the fact that the holiday is quite controversial among people of faith.  I know that the history of the holiday is one of the strongest reasons people oppose the holiday… But knowing so, I still love it! 
  

Let me explain, I love Shakespeare and his clever poetry is to blame for my love of an anti-Christian holiday.  Shakespeare, As You Like It (act two, scene seven), has the infamous “All the World’s a Stage” prose.  In this piece, Shakespeare compares life to a theatrical performance where the players are constantly changing masks in everyday life.  When I was in my English class (in high school) and my professor reviewed this piece I was in love!  Teen years are a time of confusion, of journey to self-identity and self-discovery; thus, teenagers are notorious for having “many faces.”  They play a character of themselves at home, another at school, still another another in athletics and clubs… They shift from one self to the next with little thought. 
My funny Clown!

While Shakespeare’s piece focuses on the various stages of life, I took the literal meaning from it.  As one grows into adulthood and self-acceptance is achieved there’s less need for many disguises - BUT on Halloween one has the opportunity to be anything the imagination can conjure.  I’ve always been an introvert and quite timid, so, on Halloween I let my inner diva come out thank goodness it’s only once a year!
Soy la Chilindrina con mi calabasita!
 

I am not concerned with the satanic history of Halloween because it’s the twenty-first century and now it’s really just a commercialized festivity.  A lot of the holidays at one point were pagan celebrations, but the church used those occasions to evangelize.  Every year my nephew and I work efficiently tagging candy with “Jesus loves you” stickers so that when the trick-or-treaters stop by the house they will get a treat with a Christian message.  In addition, instead of “Happy Halloween” we greet them with “Jesus loves you.” I think that day is a great opportunity to reach the multitude because a great number are out and about... I am just being cleverly efficient for Jesus! (SMILE)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment