Friday, October 4, 2013

Happy Feast Day!

Happy Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi!!!  On October fourth, Catholics celebrate a day that commemorates the life & death of Saint Francis of Assisi.  On this day we remember the saint that is best known for his rejection of material wealth to follow the call to “repair God’s church.”  Saint Francis born into wealth left everything to pursue a life devoted to God and the poor. He loved nature and is often remembered for his love of animals and passion for God’s creation.  Thus, on this day many churches participate in the blessing of animals.  Unfortunately, there are no parishes near where I live that participate in this ritual, but fear not, I have a plan!  I asked Father if he would bless my fur ball and he agreed to do it!!! Hip-Hip Hooray for Father!
Dollar out and about!

Father is a man with quite a sense of humor.  I was talking to him about why we don’t hold an event to bless our pets and he laughed and told me the following joke: 

“One day a man came to a priest and asked if the priest could perform a baptism for his dog, and the priest was very disturbed because sacraments are holy and only given to people, so he explained that to this weirdo.  Then, the man told the priest that he was going to donate a thousand dollars to the parish for this ceremony.   So, the priest took the man’s check and asked him when he wanted to celebrate the dog’s first communion.”

Dollar searching for his frenemy the Squirrel!

Then Father lets out a contagious laugh!  "Penny, you can bring Dollar (my dog) over and I will be more than happy to bless him for you."  Thus, I am super excited because after work my doggie is getting blessed! Hip-Hip Hooray for Father!
Dollar guarding momma's shoes! Grrr....

Also, today is my best friend’s (an aside, I have quite a few “best” friends - not wanting to confuse you) birthday!  We are having a potluck at her place tonight.  Her birthday is the reason that I never forget the Feast of my favorite saint. She couldn't have been born on a better day because she is the essence of humility and is always so caring towards others! Happy Birthday beautiful!  Every year this day merrits a double celebration.  Also, she is the parent to Dollar's best friends Cookie and Coco. 

Happy Birthday Beautiful girl!
Bestest dog friends!

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." -Saint Francis


No comments:

Post a Comment