Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dia de Los Muertos

Saturday, evening my friend celebrated her one year wedding anniversary by having a small gathering for friends and family.  She eloped a year ago, surprising all of us, and this year the happy couple decided to throw a small bash to share their marriage joy with close friends.  The theme was an unusual Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) which is a huge Mexican celebration.
The Spooky, but happy couple.
My impersonation of Frida Kahlo
During early November, Mexico observes a day in which we honor our dead (Nov 2) following All Saint's Day (Nov 1).  In the pueblito where I am from, the whole town heads to the cemetery to decorate the graves of their loved ones with traditional marigolds, precious belongings of the deceased and sugar skulls.  On such day, every year the departed are prayed for, remembered and their life celebrated bringing families together. 

With my Bestie
With my other Bestie and cutie pie baby!
Las Tres Amigas!
I love themes and a reason to be silly!  So, when my friend invited me and informed me that she hoped we would dress accordingly I headed to the Dollar Tree and bought two marigolds bouquets to make my very own Frida Kahlo hairpiece.  Then I bought some white facial paint at Party City and applied old make-up that I no longer use and voila I was ready for the party! 



Apparently, other than the happy couple, I was the only one that got the memo to dress up!  I felt really foolish when I arrived at the party and was the only one in costume, but now looking at the pictures I look pretty groovy (SMILE).  We had an open tostada bar and yummy tres leches cake and lots of bonding. Congratulations Friends!

 Group Shot!



2 comments:

  1. You looked amazing and we were glad you made it out with your Dia de Los Muertos interpretation of Frida Kahlo - it truly made the party! XOXO
    ~Myrna & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girlie-girl! We sure did look spooktacular! Besos!

    ReplyDelete