Thursday, February 23, 2017

Three Things That Always Make Me Feel Better with Others

In continuing with yesterday’s post about things that refresh my soul, but this time in community with others. Girlfriends, all women need a good set of girls for comfort, support and relation.  I have been blessed with many great women who challenge, encourage and accept me.  When I am feeling down (though I usually would rather be alone) making the effort to interact with my besties always nourishes my soul.  This past weekend I got to enjoy some time with my girls (who are my family) and though they are not Christian spending time with them always lifts my spirit.  I mentioned that they are not Christian because for a while I thought my Catholic conversion would affect my non-Christian relationships.  Many told me that after they became Christian they just didn’t have anything in common with their previous relationships and terminated those bonds.  I am not going to lie some of our views are very different, but our love for one another is greater.  This past weekend I got to unload with them all the stresses I have been experiencing and they listened and lifted my spirits making great jokes about my silly worries.  They stuffed me with good homemade food and sent me away full both in body and spirit.
Novenas.  I love praying novenas with my friends.  Now getting together for nine days to pray is not possible – coordinating schedules and the distance we live from one another makes it quite difficult.  However, thanks to social media I am able to pray with them virtually.  The first Ave Maria cruise I went on I met two girls that have been referred to on this blog as my cruise angels.  Since, that first cruise we have been praying novenas together even though I live in California, one lives in Houston and the other in Guadalajara.  I think I was going through some crisis and I asked them if they would pray for me and Guadalajara suggested we pray a novena together and thus our prayer group was born.  Just last week we finished a Novena to Saint Faustina!
Mom, she always pokes her head in my room and smiles because she happens to be my biggest cheerleader.  She’s a woman that you will rarely see without a happy resolution, just being in her presence brings me joy.  Together the two of us are quite silly, when I am really sad she turns the radio and invites me to dance, if I refuse she dances in front of me alone until I break into a smile. Many times we annoy my sister with our shenanigans.  And every day at the same time she retreats into her room to pray the rosary.  She’s a woman of strong faith and great sacrificial love - am so blessed that God chose her for me.  She only went to school to the second grade and taught me that, “I must always be intolerant of ignorance, but understanding of illiteracy that some people unable to go to school are more intelligent than college professors.”  She’s a gem, my mother and time with her even in silence fuels my spirit with hope and peace.

What are somethings that you do alone and with others that make you feel better?  I think it’s important to have a list handy for those times when we need to be reminded how to deal with negative feelings in positive ways (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment