Sunday, March 23, 2014

Learning to Love

I’m madly in love with God, but am not a good lover.  I lie, I gossip, I can be narcissistic, impatient, self-centered, selfish with my time, proud- the list is infinite of my un-impressive, humanly way of loving. Yet, God no matter how much I stumble never tires of taking me back because "Jesus doesn't require great actions from us simply surrender and gratitude."   That’s why the image of a babe crawling comforts me, there’s hope in that image of utter dependence and growth.  My faith is like that of a child, possibly a tantrum-throwing toddler, and there’s nothing great about my love for Him- the greatness lies in His love for me. His redeeming love. 
Sunday Mass: black lace dress- thrifted, Gold Tory Burch flats

In this age of relativism and secularization matters of faith are reduced to a private, personal affair.  For the longest time I was ashamed of sharing my faith within my social circle afraid of being branded some intolerant title, I was ashamed of Jesus.  I believed that as an educated person I needed to keep my faith to myself- but Christianity is about community.  It’s about taking the truth and goodness of God to others - it’s a missionary affair.  For years I kept silent, yet God never rejected me; in fact, He loved me, He healed me He filled me with His Spirit.  My hope is that those years of living incognito filled me with so much of His radiance that now like a lamp I can't help but shine His light.  Anything good in me comes from Him without Him I am nothing, but a wretched sinner.
There’s not a soul who doesn’t want to be a good lover.  When we love another we crave, we desire, we want to do our best at loving them.  Who better to teach us than love itself (smile). God is love, He is the valedictorian of the love university – so if you want to learn to be great lovers go to Him, learn from Him.  His yoke is easy and His burden is light…  These past years of being loved by Him I have learned to love how He does always wanting the best for the beloved.  With sacrificial and submissive love.  In matters of love, a humble spirit is required and I am learning to love like He first loved me, knowing that when I come across my one-and-only he will reap from my time at the love university.  God challenges us to change to progress in character- to become better lovers.  He does this by loving us first, by showing us through example what love looks like in action.  Thus, don’t despair press on – every day is an opportunity to grow in love.  If you are single do not disheartened become great lovers in preparation for the one He will send your way (smile).        


No comments:

Post a Comment