Thursday, May 10, 2018

Put Your Cell Phone Down and Enjoy Realness


The lone survivor.

I forgot to set the alarm this morning, thus I have been rushing all morning... Finally, I found a moment for a little breather and I took a walk around the pond outside my office and this time instead of praying my usual rosary I walked around in silence.  As I was walking I saw a woman walking her dog so engrossed in her cell that not once did she notice (or enjoy) the beauty around her.  Nowadays, it’s the norm to see people addicted to screens.  In fact, I have read multiple news stories about people getting severely hurt because they were walking while staring at their cellular phone.  I thought about “Ready Player One,” a film that I watched with my nephew which portrays a future world where people no longer live in reality, but are consumed in a fantasy world of gaming and virtual reality.  Is that where we are headed?  A society no longer fostering real relationships and experiences - opting for an illusion? 
A duck fishing always cracks me up!

Before I returned to my faith I lived my life in comfortable agnosticism.  Life hadn’t given me a strong enough experience to challenge me to make up my mind in regards to God.  Though, I grew up in a time before screens dominated our lives, even then tons of distractions kept me from stopping for real reflection. I was always on the go, work and college kept me running to and fro.  Yet, as I reflect on what kept me from appreciating my life it comes down to a sense of entitlement.  As an agnostic, I believed that the created world would always be there, it was mine not a gift from God.  When I awoke I expected the sunrise and all the created world to function rhythmically.  This daily assumption made me devalue the natural world so much so that I never felt the need to immerse myself or enjoy it.  In addition, American culture produces young people that live at such a fast pace running from little league sports and countless extracurricular activities – little kids with such busy schedules (and so much pressure) that it’s no wonder a screen is a welcomed distraction.    
Learn from turtles - they love soaking in the sun!

This year our RCIA kiddos were mostly young adults, people who have lived engaged in technology all of their lives.  I remember the afternoon we went to the beach for our Via Crucis a young girl took a picture of the sunset then used an app to Photoshop the picture into a turquoise monstrosity.  She showed me the retouched photo with pride, at which I silently thought what a desecration of God’s beauty.  I don’t have anything against the advancements of technology, but it does worry me that we are creating a world where we are not passing values like the goodness of real relationships, of appreciating God’s creation and being content with reality. As a Catholic I have learned to slow down, to be grateful for everything and to be happy submersed in the ever changing, morning sky.  The more I learn my faith the more I realize the wisdom of its teachings, slow down and just be...  Thus, I think as long as we have faith and live it authentically there’s hope for us, even in these fast technological times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment