Monday, May 21, 2018

Appreciation Mass


Yesterday, we had a special Mass to thank all those involved in parish formation at Saint Barbara’s followed by a luncheon.  It was a beautiful service in addition to the various catechists our families were also in attendance because ministry requires sacrifice.  Our families sacrifice our presence, understanding the importance of service in spreading the Good News.  This year has been a difficult year for me, I have really felt the weekly Sunday commitment. I've felt overwhelmed and exhausted – mainly because I added a few activities to the mix.  I started working Saturdays, ten hour days during the week, I added the process of becoming a secular Franciscan and started an eBay business.  Thus, I felt like I didn’t have a day of rest because on Sundays (my only day off) I had to be at the parish from nine to twelve thirty.  Luckily my work schedule has return to its normal forty hours per week and I have gotten my Saturday’s back again (smile)...  Commitment to ministry is tough – but am reminded of the woman who gave all she had, while others gave of their surplus she gave from her own poverty and put in all she had.  God challenges us to give and usually a sign that we are giving a pretty good dividend is that it hurts.  When our giving makes us uncomfortable and when it takes us outside our comfort zone we have to rely solely on God.  The poor woman in scripture gave generously because her faith in God’s providence was much greater.   
In our parish, in the years that I have been serving as a catechist my RCIA team has never been invited to a service where we are thanked for our work.  Yet, this year in which I have struggled so much getting to the closure of our catechetical year and thinking that next year I might not return, sister decided to create  a special Mass for all of us serving the parish in faith formation.  While we were getting roses as recognition for our service, my teammate turned to me and said, “You still want to leave?  I think God is challenging you to stay.”  I looked down sheepishly because though a good servant serves without the need for recognition, the power of a thank you for those of us who are not yet saints really is powerful.
We were all given a gift of the spirit, a small paper from a basket, to grow in this upcoming year.  I got the Spirit of Knowledge, “that I may know God and know myself and grow in holiness.”  I have decided that I will return to RCIA next year, but I am still discerning my level of involvement.  At the end of the catechetical year we see many fruits of our labors which usually encourage us in our renewal to service.  This Mass helped me a great deal and to be able to share it with my family really was special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment