Thursday, May 24, 2018

How Social is Your Parish, Looking at Parish Events as Way to Evangelize


When I was a preschool teacher my students used to believe that I lived at the school, I think all children at one point believe this of their teachers.  In a similar way I think that people coming from the outside believe that church people live at the parish praying.  I know that I did.  I remember the first time I was with a group of young adults and I saw one of the leaders wearing a CSLB sweater, I was shocked that she might be attending university.  We soon became friends and I discovered that quite a few of the people in my Jovenes Para Cristo group were enrolled in collegiate programs.  They were girls like me who loved their Mexican culture and had a special connection with Spanish.  As I started exploring life with them I learned of the many invigorating things that they were involved in and was invited to the things they did socially in community.  They began to show me a Catholic life very different from the small, clueless definition I had created in my mind…  When we are immersed living Catholic lives we tend to forget that to outsiders we are still seen as people that go to church and pray (only)- which we do, but there’s so much more to show the world about who we are and open up a dialogue.
Theatre on the saints!

I am really lucky because I have a thriving diocese with all sorts of groups and events for people to get involved in.  Most social events serve as great hooks to bring people, other friends who are at the peripheries and ease them into the Good News.  Saint Francis used to say, “preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."  I want to challenge you and myself to pick up a bulletin this Sunday and look at the events your parish has to offer and invite a friend to attend a gathering with you.  Parish picnics, tea parties, knitting clubs, hike groups are all non-threatening ways to bring the unbaptized into the church without being preachy.  When I came back to the church I seriously didn’t realize all the things that were available at my local parish.  These events helped me see a side of church that I never imagined.  A place where people who are trying to live the Gospel are also very human and even very fun!  Quiz your parish and see how much they have available to help you evangelize in a “light” way.

Look at the social events.  When I came back to the church I remember a friend took me to see “The Glory of Christmas,” an awesome theatrical production of the birth of Jesus and for this theatre junkie the experience was so life giving.  Our diocese still hosts a series of theatrical productions based on the lives on the Saints.  These are great to bring a friend or two and then afterward go out to dinner and have a discussion. 
Theology on Tap.

What else is happening at your parish or diocese?
Parish movie night.

For example, my Parish during the summer has lots of events like the parish picnic, parish bonfire, court yard theology, women’s tea parties, etc.
Parish Picnic

At a diocesan level we have theology on tap, Young Catholic Professional Networking Events, various sport leagues, concerts, plays, other groups of young adults…  In addition during the summer many of the local parishes host their parish fests with yummy food, live entertainment, games and fun for the whole family.
Parish Angels Game

All these social events are great times to bring others who lack a wider view of what it means to be Catholic.  God created us to form community and personally what has nurtured my conversion is always a matter of relationship.  These social parish happenings are great ways to court non-baptized and those non-practicing and invite them to slowly begin peeling layers to what constitutes as a Catholic life.  I know the more I saw the more I wanted to belong.  God just placed Catholics in my path who wooed me in His Name by helping me put my guard down through social interaction long enough to let the Truth come in.  I am not good at inviting non-believers to events, but the times I have done so my friends always come to an understanding that something special is happening in Catholic community, something that is lacking in their lives.  Thus, I have come to the conclusion that a community with many social events is a parish that has the possibility to reach the masses; so, take advantage of these social gatherings to share your faith with others who might not yet be ready for the deeper aspects of worship. But by slowly getting them involved they will soon open to God and His love.
You can even travel with your parish!

No comments:

Post a Comment