Thursday, May 17, 2018

Incorporating Cultural Traditions in Liturgy: Sacrament of Matrimony


I love that the Catholic Church is unafraid to use the material world to increase our worship experience.  For my class on the Sacraments I was asked to attend a wedding Eucharistic celebration.   The service I chose was absolutely beautiful, but I do have a weakness for liturgy in my native tongue (Spanish) and of incorporation of cultural traditions into the liturgy.  The assembly was made up of both family and friends of the bride and groom, a mix of Catholic, Protestants and people of other faiths.  To make things a little easier for all to follow the assembly was provided a program personalized for the sacramental union of the two.  Aside from the priest there was a wedding coordinator assigned by the church which made sure that the lectors, Eucharistic ministers and choir were all clear on their assignments.  Most of these ministries were fulfilled by family and friends of the couple which added a personal touch to the service.
The readings were beautiful and selected ahead of time by the couple.  However, what I really loved were the cultural rituals like the coins, lazo, blessing of bible and rosary and the offering of flowers to Mother Mary.  I just love these symbols because I am a very visual person and to visually see the union of two souls, two families, and two lives as the sponsors place the lazo on the couple is quite beautiful.  I think that’s always one of my favorite parts when the couple are together kneeling facing the altar with a lazo literally binding them together.
Also the exchange of the thirteen gold coins invites the physical world to help express deep spiritual themes of providence and hope throughout the future together. 
In Mexican weddings it’s common to have sponsors buy a family bible and a rosary for the couple to have as they begin a new life together and during the mass these two objects are blessed.  At this particular service I realized what a great witness it gives the community (especially those not practicing their faith) because it’s stating that this couple wants to have the Word of God and payer actively in their home.
Lastly, the couple together went to place a bouquet of flowers at Mary’s altar.  Though some liturgist believe that this shouldn’t be done unless the couple have a deep Marianne devotion, I disagree.  Father asked the couple to go and place the flowers at the altar, but also to take a moment and pray together asking her to come into their marriage.  This small gesture accompanied with a good Marianne hymn can be such a powerful witness for the assembly.

I think that’s a dominating reason I love my Catholic faith so much because it has room to be inclusive of people from all over the world and our Catholic Church is unafraid to use the material world to increase our worship experience (smile).

  




No comments:

Post a Comment