Thursday, May 3, 2018

Master Catechist Certificate Diocesan Program


For almost two years now I have been taking classes at my diocese to achieve a Master Catechist Certificate.  In my diocese we have three options in terms of certification: Initial, Intermediate and Advanced.  In addition, the program is designed so that students can go at their own pace with classes in an eight or nine week rotation.  There are the mandatory classes that must be taken, but also the freedom to choose a few electives depending on the type of certification achieving.  These courses are the same classes that those with the desire to be ordained permanent deacons take.  Thus, since my beginning studies, I have joined a bubbly bunch of about fifteen aspiring deacons with their wives.  It’s been so much fun getting to know and studying beside them, my perspective of ordained (or soon to be) ministers has definitely changed…
In this time and day it’s important that the body of the church (you and I) are informed Catholics because there’s great need for Catholic wisdom in our society.  I actually began the program for that reason alone, I wanted to learn and understand my religion more deeply so that I can better share it with others.  I think this desire for deeper knowledge is the reason that I am going for the advanced option because as the classes are in rotation I get so attracted by different courses that I sign-up for them without keeping track of which option they fall under (smile).  I just know that in the span about three years (two down) I will achieve advanced certification.  Today, I want to share what I have learned taking classes at a diocesan level in case any of you have been curious or are on teeter-totter about possibly joining the Master Catechist Program.

Be Ready to Work- These courses are at a university level in terms of learning.  Each class is designed with a lot of reading, class work and a final paper.  So know in advanced that you will have to do more than just occupy space in the classroom.
Come with an Open Mind- The classes are usually led by priests or Catholic theologians who practice their faith and are passionate about the topic they are instructing on.  This also means that you get Catholics from all over the spectrum from very conservative to extremely liberal thinkers.  And the material is going to challenge some of your thoughts and beliefs – at times clarifying at others making you more confused.  Press on, the Spirit will guide you in the right path as you learn the true theology of our faith.    
Expect Disappointments- Some of the classes that I was most excited about ended up being the worst.  For example, I took a class on Liturgy of the Hours and the instructor was horrible, I don’t think teaching was a strength of his so I felt like I didn’t learn very much in that class.  I also had a teacher teaching us about liberal and feminist theology in a class that was supposed to be about Christology.  Then I had the teacher who taught using the new teaching trend where we are all right in our own way, never taking sides- it was quite annoying…  But I also loved Old and New Testament studies and faith formation.  
Challenge the Teaching-  At first, I thought everything I was learning was set in stone and not refutable because of the caliber of the instructors, but as I have pursued my Catholic education I have learned that teachers come with their own preferences and biases so in the end I have to make up my own conclusions.  Sometimes those conclusions will be that I don’t agree with the point-of-view of my instructor.
Though the road in my learning has had its bumps, I still think that all Catholics should take classes at their diocese whether pursuing a certificate or simply to learn their faith better.  Our church needs informed Catholic’s in our parishes, communities and in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment