Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My First Encounter

Father is having this Lenten series and he asked us to write down our own personal stories about our first encounter with God.  And since a few weeks ago I shared about my romantic journey- today I would like to share the moment(s) that I knew God was for me.  I told you that science and philosophy pulled me away from my faith and made me a very suspicious person in matters of religion… So, it’s a bit difficult for me to talk about my encounters because they all were miraculous moments that are inexplicable without sounding loony...  The day I found my brother in a pool of blood and raced behind the ambulance to the emergency room- was the most difficult day of my young life. As I waited, while doctors performed multiple surgeries and tried to keep him alive- I felt trapped in the waiting room and ran outside into the parking lot.  As the sun shined brightly I asked God to take him, to stop my brother’s pain- I begged, I bargain and I prayed like never before.  Unable to cry from the shock I remained sitting on the curb staring at my sneakers and bloodied clothes, “Lord make his pain stop.  Inflict whatever malady on me, but make his hurt stop.”  Immediately, I was embraced by the coolest wind and as it blew it took away my fears and brought a sense of peace deep within me.  I knew that God had heard me, and I remained outside on that curb for who knows how long just wrapped in the arms of His wind. 

The doctors came out and told us that my brother had survived the surgeries, but that he was in critical condition and the odds of him pulling through were unlikely.   We waited throughout the night huddled in the small waiting room, the sobs from my mom and my sister made everything more difficult.  That’s when I read the Book of Job for the first time…  The following day the doctors told us that my brother was in a vegetative state and that it was our choice whether to pull him off the respirators.  The five of us went around casting our votes, luckily he passed away before we reached a decision.  Which was another answered prayer because I had asked God to decide for us.

After the funeral our relatives began calling the house to check in on us.  As time went by some began asking us to pray fervently because my brother was probably in a dark place due to the manner in which he died.  This caused a lot of anguish, especially in my mom and I was so angry that instead of helping us their commentary was making things worse.  I tried consoling my mom, but I too began to doubt.  In the following months I went on my first spiritual retreat, the priest told us to pray about what we wanted from God.  I remember thinking God please tell me my brother is in a good place.  During holy hour as the priest approached me with the monstrance, I bowed my head and closed my eyes.  Then I was walking barefoot on the wet earth in a long white dress. As I made my way down a corridor of green hedges one of my hands curiously felt the leaves of the walls.  When I reached the end of the hall I entered a garden room and I saw Jesus smiling and opening his arms for me to run into- I waited stupefied.  Then Jesus took a few steps towards me and behind him in a royal cape and with a crown on his head was my brother.  I ran and wrapped my arms around him, and then I was sandwiched in an embrace between Jesus and my brother.  As I came back into the reality of the retreat room I was on the floor and tears were running down my face.  Since he passed I had not been able to cry- that night my healing began. 

The vision sounds quite unbelievable – but God’s ways have a humbling effect on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment