Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dating Introverts Part One

Last week I went out with one of my guy friends who wanted to talk to me a bit about introverted, single men and their way of approaching the dating scene.  Today I am going to share some of his insight in addition to some of my thoughts on the subject since I also consider myself an introvert.  For the sake of this post, we will define introversion as both needing alone time to recharge energies and inward temperaments.  The courting process on its own is a daunting task, add a bit of shyness and inexperience to the mix and it becomes almost impossible for many of us introverts.    
Communication: Introverts hate small talk and have difficulty keeping the conversation going with new people or people they don’t know well.  Thus, forming new relationships can be quite difficult.  Silence doesn’t mean they don’t like you, they just process things inwardly instead of vocally. This makes them great listeners, but usually at the beginning the more outgoing person will need to keep the conversation going. They also need time to process - so, if they don’t respond immediately to your texts or messages understand that they need time to reflect and respond.  Recently, I thought a man’s delayed responses was a sign that he was not into me, yet am learning that we communicate differently. 
Reading Signals: Women are usually very attentive to detail and tend to over analyze a man’s behavior.  Recently, I also tried to have a conversation with a man via messages and our conversations went nowhere because we both have difficulty initially keeping the dialogue going.  Thus, I felt like he didn’t want to talk to me because he was not interested.  My friend shared that women that are touchy really confuse him, because they are expressing a lot of affection (which translates to interest), but when he tries to pursue they usually decline.  It was interesting to see that both men and women have difficulty picking up on the right signals.  He said that I should tell my lady friends that if we are interested in a man we need to hit the object of our affections with a frying pan.  Thus, there are too things to be learned here:

(1)    Women lose the fear of showing a man through word and action that you are interested and
(2)    Men ask the girl out clearly, remembering that being a gentleman is more than opening doors- it also means being prepared to take rejection so that your lady won’t have to.  

Honest and Loyal: Introverts are usually some of the most honest and loyal people.  They only focus on one person at a time in the dating process. One honest relationship means more to them than having many superficial friends. Thus, dating mixers, conferences, events geared at helping facilitate the dating process are as uncomfortable as networking.  We don’t like to feel like we have to sell ourselves; thus, even if we attend these events we are more likely to be unsuccessful at meeting someone.       
Group Dates: My friend suggested group dates as a possible way of meeting and developing romantic relationships.  I am not so sure since in a crowd I get lost- unless I know the people well or they are all women. 

Patience: Be patient with him/her.  Reading the book Quiet or studying literature on introverts can really help understand the way we think and react to things that are important to us.  Learn and accept how we function socially.  We usually enjoy low key activities most of the time and value alone time.  Keep in mind that each introvert is different, thus getting to know the person, asking questions and observing their behavior will tell you a great deal of who and how they are.


To be continued… Dating Introverts Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment