Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Joy of Service

Last night I got together with the RCIA team for our Christmas potluck.  In between, talks about the progress of our students and shared concerns over a few that seemed to not be capturing much from the program we laughed and got to know each other more deeply.  For the majority of our time together the RCIA candidates and catechumens were the focus of our discussion.  We evaluated our work these past months and shared personal insights on the spiritual growth of each of our students.  We talked about our Christmas classroom party and the student reactions to the activity that we did introducing them to the first Christmas and the essence of Jesus’ birthday.  As we discussed amongst ourselves our entire focus drifted from self to others and I began to feel the Christmas spirit…
On Sunday, in RCIA we did an activity that I do at home with my nephew where we follow a book, What God Wants for Christmas, which introduces in literal gift form each figurine of the nativity.  As each character is revealed one reflects on the role of each biblical person and the last gift holds the secret to what God wants for Christmas.  The activity illustrates how Jesus was the first gift- God’s gift to us on the first Christmas and how since people imitate God in giving gifts to one another.  It also reveals what God wants- our hearts as His birthday gifts.  When the students realize that for all the past Christmases they have left the main guest out of the celebration or when they realize that God wants them as they are, a lot get really emotional.  The Holy Spirit works powerfully in this activity and many cried and knelt in front of the completed nativity adoring Baby Jesus for the first time!

I love working in this ministry- God feeds my faith through my three hour Sunday morning commitment.  As I mentioned yesterday, I have been feeling depressed this past month and SO unready for the birth of Christ; but, last night as I reflected on others I began to feel warm inside.  I began to see things that because I was so self-focused, I had missed.  Through evaluating the spiritual progress and by witnessing the initial introduction of my students to the REAL reason for the season- God showed me how He has been using me.  Once again looking away from my problems, my failures and my doubts I was able to see God and I too was reminded of Jesus.  I was reminded of the hope born to us over two-thousand years ago.  Of our savior who came to give us life and to right the wrongs by taking our sins to the cross and building a bridge towards eternity with God.  As Jesus became more human in my being (more tangible) my petty worries seemed mere lunacy.  Jesus is the hope for and of the season!  Don’t let the enemy steal your Christmas joy – follow Jesus and do for others!  In serving the Lord by serving those in need celestial joy is revealed and a warmness that cannot be extinguished reins in your soul.         

No comments:

Post a Comment