Monday, December 29, 2014

Don't Forget What You've Learned in the Light

Sometimes when my thoughts become so intolerable I grab the keys to my car and drive off without a destination, music blaring in hopes of drowning the obsessive thoughts…  On Friday night, I was overcome with despair and into the dark night I drove taking the Pacific Coast Highway into the Hills of Newport Beach.  At times there were no street lights and it seemed like I was literally being engulfed by darkness.  When I was an agnostic- I used to imagine death as this dark, permanent, peaceful slumber.  As I drove on Friday for a moment I wished that the darkness would kiss me with his everlasting sleep and that I would never wake up again.  Suffocating pain, hopelessness and anger all suppressed my usual cheerful self…  I don’t get these dark spells often anymore, in fact I can’t remember the last time my thoughts overpowered me; but, on Friday they did and I sinned giving into the darkness and forgetting the promises of God.  After the tears and anger subsided I felt empty, unsure about my faith, my doubts intensified.  Just the previous night I had participated in a beautiful midnight service in honor of Jesus’ birth and twenty-four hours later the peace and hope had been replaced with shadows and gloom.  My being was going through a spiritual battle just one day after the joyful birth of Jesus in my heart!    
Christmastime is a time of hope- but when one’s hope is in the wrong places the results can be devastating…  My sister had an argument with her husband over gifts, my brother-in-law had a disagreement with his dad over his dad’s lack of support and insensitivity, my nephew was crying frustrated because the toy I got him was too difficult for him to put together, and I was sad over some personal, trivial issue.  It took a day for the light of Jesus’ birth to be extinguished with worries and disagreements.  As I thought about it, I knew that we weren't the only ones waking on the twenty-sixth with issues regarding material gifts, weak family dynamics, heart woes or faith troubles…  Focus on God – seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you- the bible tells us.  But… What does it mean to focus on God?  How can one focus on an invisible God?  Am not sure, but I know too well how to take my focus away from Him… I take my focus away from God when I concentrate on my pain, on my heartache, on my suffering and THEN my problems become bigger, my heartaches too heavy, and my suffering too much to withstand.
Letter from Mother Teresa

On Saturday, morning I woke up still melancholic, but something in me refused to continue empowering the misery.  I looked at my book shelve and my eyes rested on a book that I had not read on spiritual warfare and I began reading it.  Though the book wasn’t that helpful- I realized that I need to talk with God, ask for forgiveness and to hope even if I didn’t feel like it.  I went to reconciliation- then I headed to a place I love to pray at for an hour retreat and then went to watch a cheerful Christmas play.  
The Trinity Broadcasting Network in Costa Mesa is this beautiful location lit up year round- and I love going there to just be reminded about God’s greatness and how one man changed the world in a way no other has.  The thousands of lights that adorn the location gives me immediate joy, which as I write this post I find it quite humorous that the night before I was driving in darkness and the following night I was surrounded by light (SMILE).  The broadcasting center is very luxurious and all the beauty and art is dedicated to Jesus – which I find extremely meaningful!  Anyway- I am still in this journey and I think it’s important to share that I am weak, I fall a lot, but God always helps me up.  I believe that my doubts will continue to be a source of my spiritual struggle- but what I have learned is that God will never give up on me and I NEED to never give up on Him either.  Hope you had a Merry Christmas and that God's spirit is still lit in your hearts - bright and beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment