Monday, December 1, 2014

My Birthday Reflections

When I was a child my mom told me the following story: “Once there lived a woman, Bella, who was despised because of her physical beauty and her troubled past.  On the day of Bella’s birthday her neighbor asked her servants to take Bella a silver platter full of cow manure as a gift- hoping to express that though Bella had refined her ways- she was still seen as the town’s harlot.  When Bella received the tray- she asked her maid to wash the tray clean and fill it with persimmons (which were considered the very finest fruit) and to add a note: “everyone gives of what they have.”  As I celebrated my birthday this weekend I recalled this story and found solace.  You see one can never be disappointed in people’s behavior if we perceive life by this moral, “everyone gives of what they have.”  People will give according to their supply and am not referring to material gifts.  In the past, I have shared that the best way to show me you love me is by spending time with me- and this weekend my BESTEST friends gave a great deal of their time- we ate, we drank (in moderation of course), we chatted and we danced.  In addition, they showered me with material gifts and happy wishes that flooded my phone all day long yesterday.  They have so much to give and this weekend I was the luckiest recipient (smile).
On my actual birthday, I spent half of my day with my RCIA group and again they showered me with las mañanitas, cake, flowers and vowed to pray (as a gift to me) so that God will send me my husband soon (smile)- I have a full army interceding for me now!  Then during Mass we celebrated a ritual of “welcome" for the RCIA candidates and catechumens in a beautiful communal service.  After the service – the smiles of my students were such a blessing and gift from God.

Later that night I headed out to dinner with my family.  Between yummy food, drinks, gifts and cake my day came to an end. Everyone that loves me reached out and they gave according to their supply of love – and while some sent me only a birthday text, a call or a Facebook comment I rejoiced valuing the fact that whether the gift was a small birthday wish or an elaborate demonstration of love, God surpassed my expectations.  To be sad over what I did not receive would be a sin- because my life is full of love thanks to all my loved ones who choose to love me unconditionally every day- regardless of my shortcomings.  The people who choose to be in my life and to give of themselves really make my life such a pleasure.  Thanks for giving me you and cheers to another closing of a year and the hopeful beginnings of a new one, Amen!   

No comments:

Post a Comment