Saturday, August 15, 2020

Sunflowers & Brooches

I went for a walk with Francis and I was captivated by my neighbor’s sunflower garden.  Every time I see sunflowers I feel like my brother is smiling down from heaven.  When he was alive, he planted a batch of sunflowers and only one bloomed and it got so big that it started tilting.  He loved and tended that flower with so much care. At the time the large size and drooping position made me think it was most hideous.  After he passed, all I could think of was how much he loved that ugly-duckling of a plant and suddenly the whole species of sunflowers sail me back to him.  Whenever I see one I am reminded of my brother happily tending his garden- trying to convince me that oversize, drooping flowers are beautiful.  While, the ones in my neighbor’s garden are multiples and smaller- the yellow gleeful color always takes me back in time.

During my thrifting escapades I found two flower brooches.

This one is a 1980’s Yves Saint Laurent’s for Avon brooch, the designer took Vincent van Goh’s Sunflower paintings as inspiration. I love the whole design, the glossy gold setting and the jewel tone enamel flowers in a vase with a handle.  It makes me think of picking garden flowers and setting them on your kitchen table. I found this vintage piece for a couple bucks and it’s currently selling for well over sixty dollars. Not a bad day of picking.

This one is a collectable St John Bee on a Sunflower brooch.  It’s 22K gold electroplated, signed and sparkles with Swarovski crystals. This is one of my favorites, I bought it soon after he passed simply because it reminded me of him and I thought I could pin it close to my heart.  Again, I got it for a couple dollars and it currently sells for over one hundred- again another good day of American picking (smile).

When I was a child I dreamed of heirlooms and somehow finding these treasures make me feel like I am wearing history.  I also imagine the stylish woman who wore it before me and just like spotting sunflowers I am filled with the fuzzies.     

No comments:

Post a Comment