Saturday, August 1, 2020

Six Things To Do During Pandemic


While I never imagined that this pandemic would last so long, the crisis has brought a slower pace and with it, opportunities to enjoy a simpler life.  Not all is bad during quarantine, while I am an introvert and perhaps for me being a homebody socially distancing is not as challenging as for extroverts- the length of the separation has also affected me.  Some days, I too feel like I am going a little nutty not being able to enjoy things that I normally take for granted.  Nevertheless, I have found that mourning over the old way of life is not as productive as just living in the moment.  Thus, when I get those anxious feelings that come from being cooped up to long, I distract myself.  Here’s my list of positive quarantine distractions:    
   

  1. Spending Time with Family- We took a trip to Big Bear to change scenery, but for the most part we spend a lot of time together outdoors.  Usually my dad tending to his garden while I read a book and my mom sews masks.  This period has allowed me to get to know my parents so much better and our relationship has grown so much!
  2. Training Francis! He’s a really smart pup, but he’s so darn cute that he gets away with murder! He still has issues with biting (a common problem with this breed), when he gets excited he bites without understanding the power of his teeth. Also, I can’t lose sight of him because he’s a little vacuum that picks up things within his reach and destroys them.  He also loves terrorizing our birds- so he still needs a lot of training.  
  3. DIY Projects- I still repair thrifted handbags and sell them on eBay- this whole process is so darn entertaining to me.  I love finding a gem at a thrift store and breathing new life to it then finding it a new home.  I also dabble in sewing, mostly sizing items to fit me or adding a missing button, sewing a hem or adding a little design to spruce a top.   
  4. Organization- I have been organizing my things.  I had accumulated quite a bit of things from my thrifting escapades and after watching Marie Kondo I realized that I wanted to be surrounded by only things that make me happy.  So, I have been implementing her process in small bits to simplify my closets.  I have a bit of a hoarder problem so it helps to find new homes for my things whether it’s sharing with my family, donating or selling it on eBay to people that will use it.  When I know my items won’t end up in a landfill it makes getting rid of them easier.  
  5. Reading- I have dented my stack of books that were in the need to read file this quarantine.  When I am outdoors enjoying my beautiful home, I like to pull a book and learn about things.  I have loved reading novels, doing spiritual reading and also learning about fashion.  I love to learn about the history of design and the masters of each era.
  6. Outdoor Prayer- Whether it’s going to outside Mass or praying the rosary or novenas in my backyard- I have loved that I get the opportunity to be outdoors with God. 

This quarantine has been challenging, but it has also been a time to slow down and to do things that normally I don’t have time for.  I think filling my days with fun things to do at home has helped me keep a positive attitude during what feels like a lockdown.  Hope you got some ideas to try in your isolation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment