Saturday, August 8, 2020

Peacefully Waiting

I have never been to a priest ordination before and thanks to virtual times this morning I plan on joining as eight priests receive their Holy Orders in the LA Diocese.  They call them, the “Pandemic Class of 2020” because they had to postpone their celebration due to the COVID-19 restrictions.  After months of waiting they are finally set for ordination.  The extra period of waiting was met with optimism, as an extra time of preparation.

I have been thinking about all the people that due to the pandemic have had to postpone important events and whether they took the news with equal hope.  I for one can say, that after ten years away from teaching returning to education the year of a national crisis has been met with many emotions, but I am not sure if I have arrived at place of favorable feelings- of looking at it as providential.  I have complained, stressed, worn myself out… Handled the situation in a very earthly way.

Yesterday, I came home from work with a new squeaky ball for Francis.  He was so excited we played fetch for a good two hours because he loved the toy so much.  I was lost in his joy, so contagious it was that I forgot about just being told that this year I would be teaching eleventh and twelve grade English- which means all new lesson plans formatted for virtual learning.  I don’t think he’s ever enjoyed a toy as much as this squeaky ball and I got lost in the moment.  I was completely present because Francis’ happiness just captivated me.  I realized then that the secret to being content is to live in the present.

The “Pandemic Class of 2020” didn’t allow the not knowing when they would celebrate their ordination to affect them because it was something out of their control.  They trusted that God would eventually clear the blocks and their decision was to take the added wait as an extended time of preparation.  I think I have been the longest Secular Franciscan in waiting and let me tell you that I haven’t been as quick to surrender to my predicament.  Thus, I am excited to watch these eight men receive their Holy Orders because I have so much to learn from their testimony in waiting.       

No comments:

Post a Comment