Saturday, April 11, 2020

Lent in Quarantine


It’s been a Holy Week like no other, an Easter Triduum like no other and tomorrow an Easter like no other.  While I have missed participating in the rituals and the Eucharist- I am thankful to have so much access to those priests that are so devoted to making sure that even in the distance we are nurtured and we are spiritually fed.  I have tried to join virtual services and to not let this Lent go without its solemnity.  Even so, I miss community, I miss being able to go into a church and sit in a pew and pray, I miss the Sacraments and I miss the Eucharist…
Usually for Lent, Catholics try to give some things up to remind us of the great Sacrifice our Lord made for us, to spiritually unite with Him, to elevate our prayer life through austerity.  Yet, this season of Lent we had to give up things that none of us had counted on giving up and I don’t know about you- but being in the house (as much as I love my home) away from the people and things that fill my life has been challenging.  And I know that I have it easy because so far this quarantine hasn’t affected me financially like it has so many others.  Yet, I do feel the pains of the restriction of freedoms I normally take for granted. 

I am bipolar and sometimes I get these moments of severe anxiety and usually what helps me is to seek refuge in a church. I enjoy sitting in a pew.  Sometimes I pray, but most 
of the time I just sit there in silence enjoying the sun shining through stained glass windows, the sounds of running water from the baptismal font and the images of saints that surround me.  Beyond the Sacraments this is the little luxury that I miss the most- the ability to flee into the nave of a parish seeking refuge from my anxieties.  I’ve always thought that as Catholics we had it good because we could go into a church at anytime during the day and the doors would be open to come in.  Whether services were going on or not Catholic churches are always open for people who like me find refuge sitting in a pew on non-operational hours.  Through all of this I am learning how I take so many things for granted and in being forced to give up so much that I wasn’t planning on giving up this Lent I find comfort offering my small sufferings to God, for I know He will redeem them.     

No comments:

Post a Comment