Saturday, April 18, 2020

Something New


In 2007 I received my Secondary Teaching Credential, I was advised by the university to complete my last Masters in Education class until after I had been hired by a school.  My advisors found that districts hire more readily teachers without a Masters due to funding and I was told that after I began a job I could come back and complete the last course.  They gave me a seven-year time limit to return and finish my degree.  As you know, I left teaching soon after I started working at a high school due to my disability being diagnosed that same year. Time passed and I thought that being bipolar I would never be able to teach and I gave up on completing that last class.

These past few months as I found a non-traditional school where I work in a style that greatly benefits my disability I realized that it was time to finish that last class.  I sent a request to the university to allow me to complete the last class even though it’s been more than seven years and after a lengthy process I was approved to return.  In two weeks, I will be done and finally receive my Masters in Education.  This quarantine will definitely be unforgettable because during the whole stress of virtual teaching and social distancing a little good. 

The biblical story of Job, has always held such a special place in my heart- it propelled my reversion to the Catholic faith and continues to inspire and teach me.  I thought that due to my disability I would never get to do what I worked so hard and had set my heart to; but, just like Job, God has given me so much lately.  I feel this sense of redemption! Even though through circumstances out of my control I gave up many dreams, after so many years God has redeemed all that suffering and return to me tenfold. Here’s what I have been working on for my last Masters class, I used my Easter picture as a symbol of something new:

No comments:

Post a Comment