Saturday, March 28, 2020

Virtual Life


These last couple of weeks have been full of change and for most of us change is difficult.  Change takes us out of our comfort zone and makes us vulnerable.  I had to start teaching from home, from one day to the next I was expected to open my home to all of my students and all of the staff.  On here I have mentioned that one of my weaknesses is opening my home to people especially those that I don’t know well enough.  I wasn’t asked if I would be ok with this, I was just asked to do as I was told.  From day one our VP was like I want everyone on camera and I was freaking out!  In fact, I had a little breakdown before I made peace with the need to go on virtually to support my kids.  I had to learn all these new gadgets and how to perform my job entirely on a different platform.  I hated that everyone was like, “Now that you have more time enjoy…” because I don’t have more time.  Sometimes I feel like I have less time because like many - I am performing an entirely different job…
While validation from my colleagues has helped me understand that the stress and also the vulnerability that I feel is mutually shared- what has helped me get through this most has been the work of priests going virtual too.  I love that I get to pray the rosary, attend the Stations of the Cross, go to Adoration and simply hear and see them online telling me that all is well.  Yesterday, I was listening to Relevant Radio while I worked and thought of earlier days when families would gather around the radio to listen to broadcasts just as I was doing.  Technology can help us form community.  This week I joined two chats with friends and it was such a blessing to be able to see each other and share even during quarantine. It’s weird to say this, but we are so fortunate that this quarantine happened during a period in time when we have access to so much technology.

This week I resumed my classes and I only had one absence! On the first day I asked my students if they wanted to meet virtually or if they just wanted to work through Google Classroom getting lessons and assignments from there and to my surprise, they all voted to have virtual class.  Their excitement to meet online transformed my thoughts on virtual teaching and now I am excited to get creative and offer the best service I can from my home.  I realized that they are at home, bored without their friends and coming to class they get to see their buddies and socialize.  During this time separated from each other we all need a beacon of hope as Pope Francis said we can’t be saved alone. Salvation is a communal process – we need each other to get to heaven.  So as I uncomfortably let new people into my home, I am so thankful for all the priests that are doing the same because while I crave for the Sacraments - for now virtual community will suffice.     

No comments:

Post a Comment