Thursday, August 8, 2019

We Are All A Little Weird


We are all a little weird and I am no exclusion. 
I give the last rites to animals that have been killed in the streets- I guess the correct terminology is roadkill.  When I pass through animal remains, while driving, I bless them with the sign of the cross and say a little prayer and imagine that God made their end the least painful.  I am an animal lover to the core and am quite sensitive to seeing mangled bodies of God’s creation; thus, in a quick ceremony, I imagine that these little animal souls are at rest perhaps running free in heaven’s gardens.
The weirdest thing that I have found at a thrift store is an urn of someone’s pet.  I noticed that the little box looked similar to Dollar’s, in a clear bag with the dog’s paw print and a condolence card from the place of cremation.  I took it my friend’s the cashiers and asked them if I could have it to give it a proper burial.  They looked at me probably the way you are while reading this (smile) and agreed that perhaps the little guy deserved a resting place that wasn’t their garbage bin.  Now Dollar has a companion resting beside him.
I am the oops child that came seven years after my parents thought they were done having children; thus, I was much younger than my siblings and growing up in a farm meant that animals were my closest companions.  I daily socialized with chicks, rabbits, goats, dogs- you name it and I considered them my animal best friends.  From the moment I was born my days were filled with farm life and animals lots of animals.  In Mexico, animals died normal deaths and when I moved to the city, I saw that some had difficulty coexisting with the city environment and met their ends in terrible ways- usually hit by cars.  Though there are qualified people that pick up the carcasses from the road, a little prayer allows me to thank God for their existence and to wish them a happy death.

If you still want to be my friend after learning this… (smile)  

No comments:

Post a Comment