Thursday, August 29, 2019

On Kindness


I have been thinking a lot about kindness and the effects there of: a listening ear, non-judgement in struggles, a warm embrace, volunteering to help, offering to pray…  Lately, I have witnessed a lot of kindness from friends as well as from strangers and it is these gifts that have made such a difference in my life.  These small signs of love have allowed me to see God in the midst of my struggles and to come out of period of dryness into a place where I feel so overwhelming His presence.  On Saturday, I went to my Franciscan annual pool party, there a friend listened to me as I poured my heart – she told me about similar struggles she had faced with loved ones and offered to pray for me and my intentions.  Somehow, she sensed that I needed a listening ear and she asked me to come and soak my feet in the pool with her.  There I had one of those healing conversations – where her past experience really validated and encouraged me.
At Monday night bible study, I was sharing with my classmates about the liberation I felt recently when I was prayed over and without asking one of my classmates said, “let’s all pray a Hail Mary for Penny” and the whole class was like “let’s do it.”  I was sharing my experience as my answer to one of the discussion questions, so when the whole class prayed for my personal intentions I was moved beyond words because again I saw God so utterly present in my life.  These people (who I have been studying with once a week for almost a year now) through their kind action revealed that each of us have the power to be the hands of God and do good in serving our brother.  That a small gesture can really fill the hearts of those who are facing challenges.

Recently, I was in a vulnerable position and the when the doctor who came in to assist us, said, “this is a place of non-judgement.”  This safe place created by her statement and the actions that followed were what I needed at that moment.  In order to confess weaknesses and work towards healing we all need a place of non-judgement, where our past actions are not bigger than the recovery that awaits.  In Jesus, we see this non-judgement when it comes to working with people in need.  The Pharisees question why he is spending time with sinners and Jesus so eloquently replies, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.  I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance.”  Jesus shows us that no matter our circumstances we all deserve kindness, more so those who are hurting.

Lately, I have been more aware of these moments where kindness has made such a difference in my life.  It has liberated, comforted and encouraged me so…  In the midst of it all these small gestures I have seen God ever so present in my life (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment