Monday, August 12, 2019

Saint Clare & Root Bear Floats


Yesterday, was the Feast of Saint Clare and in my Franciscan meeting we had Root Bear Floats to celebrate.  I forget sometimes the importance of studying the life of the saints, of getting to know them as close friends.  Though I love Saint Francis, I don’t ever resort to calling on his beloved best friend, Clare.  As you may know Saint Francis established three communities one for men, one for women and a Secular Order for people who want to live his spirituality out in the world.  Francis never had plans to do this, but slowly the need for each community came to life as people fell a deep connection to his way of life.  Beautiful Clare came from a family of nobility, her family was busy making a match for her to marry, but she refused all suitors because she felt a great desire to give herself to God.  After years of secretly meeting with Francis she realized that she wanted to follow the same path.
Her family didn’t support her desire for religious life, so on Palm Sunday she left her home traveling to a little church where Saint Francis cut her hair and she received the poor habit of the friars.  Though her family tried to persuade her to return home, she persisted and they soon realized that she wasn’t coming home.  She dedicated her life to the poor and to Christ.  Her life in the convent was filled with much physical suffering due to chronic illness that brought much pain.  In addition, she struggled most of her life trying to receive approval for her Rule and only two days before she died was it granted.  She was an exceptionally bright woman, who showed such a profound spiritual understanding that Popes, Cardinals and bishops all came for her counsel. 
In learning more about her life, in community with my Franciscan brothers and sisters I realized how much I need to become better friends with Saint Clare.  I admire her spirit of persistence.  Many times I feel like giving up and the only surrender that needs to happen is my surrender to God’s will.  If I already prayed and made the decision to entrust God with my situation, then I need to do my best to move forward with my day; to fight the temptation to dwell until I become anxious and desperate and focus instead on loving and serving others.  Clare persisted in doing good even though at times it seemed like she might not get approval for her Rule, she didn’t allow herself to despair, but trusted in God’s will.  Her persistence is what I most feel drawn to today, because it’s a trait that I need to emulate.  It’s too easy to give up, but with friends like Saint Clare, God shows that all is possible for those who trust in the Lord.            

No comments:

Post a Comment