Monday, December 4, 2017

Three More Advent Traditions

Advent has began and with it the opportunity to practice many great traditions.  Here are two that I continue to do each year and a new one that I was just introduced to this year.
Advent Wreath- Yesterday, in RCIA we had our annual Advent wreath competition.  Every year in an attempt to help our students live the time before Christmas in a more meaningful way, we introduce this lovely tradition by hosting a decorating extravaganza.  A week before, we give them the circular candle base and have them take it home to decorate with their families. It’s usually a great success and fun way to get into the Christmas spirit.  I, of course, have adopted this tradition and though sometimes it’s difficult to do every day, we still enjoy doing something meaningful even if sometimes we skip a day or two.
Advent Calendar- Counting the days towards the birth of Christ is another tradition that continues to happen in my home.  It goes along with the Advent wreath and it’s just exciting to visually count down the days until the birth of our Savior.
A Stocking for Jesus- This year I discovered this idea!  It’s involves hanging a stocking especially for Jesus on the mantel, but instead of filling it with material gifts the stocking is filled with spiritual gifts.  Each spiritual gift is a small act of kindness done to another person, “Truly I say to you, as you did it to the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.”   These acts of kindness to others become gifts to Jesus! These little gifts are written down and stuffed in the stocking throughout Advent.

Sometimes, some of the ideas that I come up with are not met with the eagerness that I hope.  Other times I was sure I could have done a better job and on some days these activities might be met with some complaining or an argument – this unpleasantness illustrates that we desperately need a savior and that the message of Christmas is still needed year after year.  I usually use candy bate to encourage participation- it’s always worked (smile).   So, don’t give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment