Monday, December 11, 2017

Our Lady of Guadalupe Tradition

I had to take my dad for lab work this morning so I am running a little behind; however, I have some great news: I have a job again!  On Friday, the company that laid me off called and offered me a permanent position, with a small team they are keeping in California.  It came rather unexpected, but as of next Monday, I will be back at the office after less than a month of vacation (smile).  Praise be to God and thank you for all the prayers friends…
This week is a special week as we honor the apparitions of our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego and during the weekend my parents and I were able to partake of our parish’s celebration.  There was Mass accompanied by mariachi, followed by a party full of Mexican delights.  Tomorrow there will be the traditional maƱanitas service and for the first time in my life I am planning on going!  When we lived in Mexico I was too young to attend and when we moved to California I lost my faith and all interest in participating in church activities.  This year thanks to my schedule being free I am so going!

This is a time for Mexican pride, when we are encouraged to dress in our traditional, regional outfits.   My heart does flips when I see the many parents still passing this beautiful tradition to their children and it saddens me because my sister and brother-in-law have no interest in passing down this cultural richness to my nephew.  As a bicultural woman nothing makes me more happy than the fusion of my Mexican roots with the growing branches of my American way of life.  Being able to celebrate and participate in Mass in English or Spanish makes me feel so utterly special because I can worship God in both languages… BUT when I hear the mariachi sounds in prayer- WOW, my chest puffs with pride.  A friend posted a video at his parish with a banda playing the maƱanitas service and being from Michoacan I would love to one day be present at such a service! 

Hope that you all can make the time to attend a service in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment