Thursday, December 7, 2017

"The Star" Movie Review

When I was in a really low place, I would make visits to the chapel and contemplate the birth of Jesus.  I would look at the babe in the manger and all the people around him:  Mary and Joseph, the three wise men and the shepherds.  Even though each of the people in that stable have a particular point-of-view worthy of contemplating, the animals were what always caught my attention.  It didn’t have anything to do with me loving animals – it was a matter of proximity.  In one image of the nativity there’s a little lamb resting its small head on the manger.  How throughout the years I have craved to take the place of the small lamb, of being so close to Jesus that I can smell his sweet baby fragrance, touch his skin and rest my head on his bed so close to my savior.  Well, the next best thing to that has happened!  Sony Pictures Animations released “The Star” a film based on the first Christmas, but from the animals perspective!  I encourage you to take the time to watch it.
The movie comes from the perspective of Mary and Joseph’s donkey, the wise men’s camels, the shepherds’ sheep and so on. This retelling makes Mary shine as the mother of God.  Her kindness to all the animals especially her small donkey is really evoking.  The film sticks closely to the biblical narrative it’s clever and clean so parents don’t have to worry their children will be exposed to anything untoward.  And the cast that give voice to the characters make this film a success!  Their charisma and chemistry is cinematic gold.

My mom, nephew and I had the pleasure of watching it together and we all came out of the theatre completely impressed by the quality of the film.  It made for great discussion as we drove home.  Though it’s not as heavily advertised as other films – the movie is extremely well produced and casted.  During the last scene as the animals gather around the manger- I couldn’t believe that Sony had stolen my idea!  I quickly forgave them because this story needed to be told, especially for children’s ears.  In the last scene there is a sense of deep joy and hope not just in the people as we have come to contemplate this time of year, but in all creation.  If you haven’t gone out to watch it, I encourage you to go and make it a family outing you won’t be disappointed.         

No comments:

Post a Comment